Part of URL is getting discarded

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Howard Kaikow, Oct 9, 2004.

  1. How do I find where I am screwing up?

    Using the following in Eudora, and equivalent links elsewhere, the URLs with
    the # get truncated just before the #.

    eudora="autourl">http://www.standards.com/links.html?FailureToDeleteToolbar<
    br><br>
    </a><a href="http://www.standards.com/links.html#FailureToDeleteToolbar"
    </a><a href="http://www.standards.com/links.html?HowardKaikow"
    eudora="autourl">http://www.standards.com/links.html?HowardKaikow<br><br>
    </a><a href="http://www.standards.com/links.html#HowardKaikow"
    eudora="autourl">http://www.standards.com/links.html#HowardKaikow<br><br>

    If I include alert(location.href), the URL is truncated on input to the
    script.
    For example, http://www.standards.com/links.html#FailureToDeleteToolbar gets
    truncated to http://www.standards.com/links.html.
    No problem if a ? is used instead of a #.

    However, the following does not truncate the URL.

    href="links.html#FailureToDeleteToolbar">#FailureToDeleteToolbar</a></p>
    href="links.html?FailureToDeleteToolbar">?FailureToDeleteToolbar</a></p>

    I expect that I am doing something wrong.
    Any pointers?

    function CompareBookmarks(bmkTarget)
    {
    return (locSearch== bmkTarget.toLowerCase());
    }
    var locHash=location.hash.toLowerCase().slice(1);
    var locSearch=location.search.toLowerCase().slice(1);
    var lenHash=locHash.length;
    var lenSearch=locSearch.length;
    var blnStatus=Boolean(false);
    alert(location.href);
    if((lenHash != 0) && (lenSearch != 0) || ((lenHash + lenSearch) == 0))
    {
    blnStatus = false;
    }
    else
    {
    blnStatus = true;
    if(lenSearch == 0)
    {
    locSearch = locHash;
    if (blnStatus)
    {
    if(CompareBookmarks("HowardKaikow")){
    location.replace("HowardKaikow.html");
    }
    else if(CompareBookmarks("HowardKaikowServices")){
    location.replace("HowardKaikowServices.html");
    }
    else if(CompareBookmarks("SortPerformanceComparison")){
    location.replace("Sorting/SortPerformanceComparison-Description.html");
    }
    else if(CompareBookmarks("ThisandThat")){
    location.replace("index.html#ThisandThat");
    }
    else if(CompareBookmarks("CopyFileToPrinter")){
    location.replace("ThisAndThat/CopyFileToPrinter.html");
    }
    else if(CompareBookmarks("WordVBABooks")){
    location.replace("OhMyWord/WordVBABooks.htm");
    }
    else if(CompareBookmarks("WordBasicBooks")){
    location.replace("OhMyWord/WordBasicBooks.htm");
    }
    else if(CompareBookmarks("FailureToDeleteToolbar")){
    location.replace("OhMyWord/VBABugsFeatures/FailureToDeleteToolbar.html");
    }
    else if(CompareBookmarks("SetReferenceInWordProject")){
    location.replace("OhMyWord/SetReferenceInWordProject.html");
    }
    else {
    alert(location.href + " is not a valid URL.\n" +
    "You will be taken to http://www.standards.com/index.html.");

    http://www.standards.com/; See Howard Kaikow's web site.
    Howard Kaikow, Oct 9, 2004

  2. Howard Kaikow

    McKirahan Guest

    McKirahan, Oct 10, 2004

  3. Howard Kaikow

    > How do I find where I am screwing up?
    >
    > Using the following in Eudora, and equivalent links elsewhere, the URLs

    with
    > the # get truncated just before the #.

    eudora="autourl">http://www.standards.com/links.html?FailureToDeleteToolbar<
    > br><br>
    > </a><a href="http://www.standards.com/links.html#FailureToDeleteToolbar"

    eudora="autourl">http://www.standards.com/links.html#FailureToDeleteToolbar<
    > br><br>
    > </a><a href="http://www.standards.com/links.html?HowardKaikow"
    > eudora="autourl">http://www.standards.com/links.html?HowardKaikow<br><br>
    > </a><a href="http://www.standards.com/links.html#HowardKaikow"
    > eudora="autourl">http://www.standards.com/links.html#HowardKaikow<br><br>
    >
    > If I include alert(location.href), the URL is truncated on input to the
    > script.
    > For example, http://www.standards.com/links.html#FailureToDeleteToolbar

    gets
    > truncated to http://www.standards.com/links.html.
    > No problem if a ? is used instead of a #.
    >
    > However, the following does not truncate the URL.

    > href="links.html#FailureToDeleteToolbar">#FailureToDeleteToolbar</a></p>
    > href="links.html?FailureToDeleteToolbar">?FailureToDeleteToolbar</a></p>
    >
    > I expect that I am doing something wrong.
    > Any pointers?

    For me these all returned the entire link.

    <head>
    <title>HK.htm</title>
    <script type="text/javascript">
    alert(location.href)
    </script>
    </head>
    McKirahan, Oct 10, 2004
  4. "McKirahan" <> wrote in message
    > > </a><a href="http://www.standards.com/links.html#FailureToDeleteToolbar"
    > > </a><a href="http://www.standards.com/links.html#HowardKaikow"
    > > For example, http://www.standards.com/links.html#FailureToDeleteToolbar

    > For me these all returned the entire link.

    THe only ones that fail for me are those above.

    For example, all links in http://www.standards.com/testrefs.html work, or
    not, as expected.

    Sumptin's not right somewhere.

    href="http://localhost/HK.htm#Test">http://localhost/HK.htm#Test</a>

    href="http://localhost/HK.htm?Test">http://localhost/HK.htm?Test</a>

    Howard Kaikow, Oct 10, 2004
  5. Howard Kaikow

    Lee Guest

    Howard Kaikow said:

    >"McKirahan" <> wrote in message
    >> > </a><a href="http://www.standards.com/links.html#FailureToDeleteToolbar"
    >> > </a><a href="http://www.standards.com/links.html#HowardKaikow"
    >> > For example, http://www.standards.com/links.html#FailureToDeleteToolbar

    >> For me these all returned the entire link.

    >THe only ones that fail for me are those above.
    >
    >For example, all links in http://www.standards.com/testrefs.html work, or
    >not, as expected.

    All of them that are valid URL's work fine for me in Firefox.
    Some that are not valid are:
    #NoSuchBookmark
    ?HowardKaikow#HowardKaikow
    #HowardKaikow?HowardKaikow
    Lee, Oct 10, 2004
  6. On 9 Oct 2004 21:57:24 -0700, Lee <> wrote:

    [snip]

    > Some that are not valid are:
    > #NoSuchBookmark
    > ?HowardKaikow#HowardKaikow

    I'm not sure if that is invalid. According to a quick read of RFC 2396[1],
    that URI would refer to the current resource with a respecified query
    string and fragment identifier. Still, it should probably be avoided just
    like the empty URI. Whilst IE does apply "?query" properly (though not
    ""), NN4 doesn't and other browsers might fail, too.

    > #HowardKaikow?HowardKaikow

    This is certainly invalid. If a fragment identifier is specified, it
    should be the last part of the URI.

    Mike

    [1] Currently a draft standard, but I expect earlier standards agree here.

    --
    Michael Winter
    Michael Winter, Oct 10, 2004
  7. "Lee" <> wrote in message
    > Howard Kaikow said:
    > >For example, all links in http://www.standards.com/testrefs.html work,

    or
    > >not, as expected.

    > All of them that are valid URL's work fine for me in Firefox.
    > Some that are not valid are:
    > #NoSuchBookmark
    > ?HowardKaikow#HowardKaikow
    > #HowardKaikow?HowardKaikow

    Yes, the script specifically disallows the above 3. The ones in
    testhref.html all work as expected.
    What I do not understand is why the following two fail:

    </a><a href="http://www.standards.com/links.html#HowardKaikow"</a>

    I can understand if we found an error in the script, but
    alert(location.href) returns a truncated URL upon entering the script for
    the two cases above. So the issue boils down to, why is the URL getting
    truncated?
    Howard Kaikow, Oct 10, 2004
  8. "Michael Winter" <> wrote in message
    > On 9 Oct 2004 21:57:24 -0700, Lee <> wrote:
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    > > Some that are not valid are:
    > > #NoSuchBookmark
    > > ?HowardKaikow#HowardKaikow

    > I'm not sure if that is invalid. According to a quick read of RFC 2396[1],
    > that URI would refer to the current resource with a respecified query
    > string and fragment identifier. Still, it should probably be avoided just
    > like the empty URI. Whilst IE does apply "?query" properly (though not
    > ""), NN4 doesn't and other browsers might fail, too.
    >
    > > #HowardKaikow?HowardKaikow

    > This is certainly invalid. If a fragment identifier is specified, it
    > should be the last part of the URI.

    My script excludes any URL with both a # and a ? because those would not be
    valid for redirections I am doing.
    Howard Kaikow, Oct 10, 2004
  9. Howard Kaikow, Oct 10, 2004

    #
    > get truncated by location .href (see
    > http://www.standards.com/testlinnks.html).

    http://www.standards.com/testlinnks.html should have been
    http://www.standards.com/testlinks.html.

    I just tried from IE 4 on an old Win 95 system, same problem, location.href
    truncates the # and anything to the right.
    Normally, I (ab)use IE 6 on Win 2000.

    Could this be an Apache server issue??
    Howard Kaikow, Oct 11, 2004
  11. I've further isolated the problem

    If I use http://www.standards.com/test.html, the # and everything to the
    right gets truncated by location.href.
    No problem if I use http://www.standards.com/local.html.

    Howard Kaikow, Oct 11, 2004
  12. Howard Kaikow

    Philip Ronan Guest

    On 11/10/04 10:33 pm, Howard Kaikow wrote:

    > I've further isolated the problem
    >
    > If I use http://www.standards.com/test.html, the # and everything to the
    > right gets truncated by location.href.
    > No problem if I use http://www.standards.com/local.html.

    I've been looking back through your posts and I'm afraid I don't see what
    the problem is.

    If you want to pass information from one page to another, then adding a
    search string to the URL is certainly one way of doing it. And you seem to
    have demonstrated that it works perfectly for this purpose.

    But why are you also trying to do the same thing with hashes? They aren't
    supposed to be used for this purpose, so I'm not in the least bit surprised
    they aren't working the way you want them to.

    Phil

    --
    Philip Ronan

    Philip Ronan, Oct 11, 2004
  13. "Philip Ronan" <> wrote in message
    > On 11/10/04 10:33 pm, Howard Kaikow wrote:
    >
    > > I've further isolated the problem
    > >
    > > If I use http://www.standards.com/test.html, the # and everything to the
    > > right gets truncated by location.href.
    > > No problem if I use http://www.standards.com/local.html.

    > I've been looking back through your posts and I'm afraid I don't see what
    > the problem is.
    >
    > If you want to pass information from one page to another, then adding a
    > search string to the URL is certainly one way of doing it. And you seem to
    > have demonstrated that it works perfectly for this purpose.
    >
    > But why are you also trying to do the same thing with hashes? They aren't
    > supposed to be used for this purpose, so I'm not in the least bit

    surprised
    > they aren't working the way you want them to.

    If I use http://www.standards.com/test.html, the # and everything to the
    right gets truncated by location.href.

    No problem if I use http://www.standards.com/local.html.

    I consider that to be a bug since the # is handled inconsistently.

    I agree that folkes should be using the ?, but there is no reason why I
    should not allow the script to process the alternative with a #.
    Some folkes have told me that certain other browsers pass the full URL, I
    don't know why IE doesn't, as it does so in some circumstances.
    Howard Kaikow, Oct 12, 2004
  14. I just figured out what is going on.
    The problem is due to IE 6. IE 6 processes the following differently.

    <a
    href="http://www.standards.com/index-test.html#Sorting">http://www.standards
    ..com/index-test.html#Sorting</a>

    Where "Sorting" is a real anchor name in index-test.html.

    And, the following are processed differently by IE 6.
    <a
    href="http://www.standards.com/index-test.html#NoSuch">http://www.standards.
    com/index-test.html#NoSuch</a>

    Where "NoSuch" is NOT a real anchor name in index-test.html.

    You can see this by trying both:

    http://www.standards.com/index-HTTP.html
    http://www.standards.com/index-local.html

    Which uses http://www.standards.com/index-test.html, which will become my
    new index.html shortly.
    The script is now http://www.standards.com/links-index.js

    IE seems to do this differtently than other browsers.
    Folkes have informed there is no problem with Mozilla and Firefox.
    Howard Kaikow, Oct 12, 2004
  15. Howard Kaikow, Oct 13, 2004
  16. Today, my ISP made a modification to how they map an alias for my web site.
    Apparently, howsoever they were previously mapping caused a problem for IE,
    but not for Mozilla/FireFox.

    Of course, the ISP claims that there was nothing wrong with what they were
    previously doing.
    In any case, whatever they were doing did cause a problem for IE, so there
    remains unanswered the question of why Mozilla/FireFox did not have the same
    problem.

    I now have my script going thru my index.html and everything is working as
    expected.

    I will shortly be removing the other files referenced in this thread as the
    problem is no longer reproducible since my ISP changed/corrected whatever at
    their end.
    --
    http://www.standards.com/; See Howard Kaikow's web site.
    Howard Kaikow, Oct 14, 2004
  17. The explanation I've gotten is the following.

    IE sends the url to the server, and the server sends back the redirected url
    to the browser.
    So IE is preserving queries, but not anchors, when a URL has been
    redirected.

    I would consider this to be a bug in IE, especially since Mozilla/FoxFire do
    preserve the anchors.

    I tried calling MSFT To report this problem, but they wanted to charge me
    just to talk to the support folkes.
    No way will I do that/

    Howard Kaikow, Oct 15, 2004