Partial download with ftplib and retrbinary

fepeacock

I am breaking/interrupting my connection with the ftp server at
present when doing a partial download of a file. I have a callback
with retrbinary that raises an exception and ends the download. The
problem is that the server is not notified and hangs. I cannot send
any further commands and need to relogin to download further. Is there
a way to still continue downloading without having to login again.

My retrbinary function is:

ftp.retrbinary('RETR '+file, handleDownload,1,bound[0])

where bound[0] is an integer specifying the start byte of the
download.

My callback is:

def handleDownload(block):
global count,localfile,number
localfile.write(block)
if count==number:
raise(Exception)
count=count+1

where number specifies the number of bytes to download.

Help would be gratefully received.

MRAB

[...]

Have you tried ftp.abort()? The docs say "Abort a file transfer that
is in progress. Using this does not always work, but it's worth a
try.".

I'd also suggest that you download more than 1 byte at a time, perhaps
1024 (fewer if you're on dial-up).

Giampaolo Rodola'

[...]

The server hangs on because the data connection is left open.
Unfortunately you have no easy way to close the data connection by
using retrbinary.
You have to trick a little bit and keep a reference of the data socket
and manually close it.
The example below starts to retrieve a file and stops when 524288
bytes have been received.
Hope this could help you.

import ftplib
ftp = ftplib.FTP('127.0.0.1', 'user', 'password')
ftp.voidcmd('TYPE I')
conn = ftp.transfercmd('RETR filename') # the data socket
bytes_recv = 0
while 1:
chunk = conn.recv(8192)
# stop transfer while it isn't finished yet
if bytes_recv >= 524288: # 2^19
break
elif not chunk:
break