Partial https in Firefox OK in IE6 - webresource.axt transmissions

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Stephen Davies, Aug 17, 2006.

  1. I am observing (via fiddler) a problem where "webresource.axd" files are
    being deployed over http (port 80) hot https (443) even when the request is
    https://xxx.xx.

    IE6 doesn't seem to mind this and reports the page as secure (padlock
    closed) but Firefox 1.5 on the other hand reports the page a partially secure
    (padlock closed with red line through it).

    Disabling Javascript on the Firefox Browser allows the page to become fully
    secure (no red line in the padlock).

    I have read several blogs on this and specifically Scott Gu's blog entry
    http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/arch...s-with-debug_3D001D20_true_1D20_-enabled.aspx

    and have performed his suggestion of setting Debug=false on the compilation
    directive to no avail! Page is still showing as insecure in Firefox.

    Fiddler shows me two webresource entries being downloaded on http rather
    than https, is this normal?

    Does anyone have any ideas on this, its bugging the hell out of me and my
    client is moaning about the Firefox partially secure message on the secure
    pages on the site including the login page.

    BTW ASPNET validators are used on this page.

    --
    Regards
    Stephen Davies
    Stephen Davies, Aug 17, 2006

  2. Hello Stephen,

    I studied the Scott Gu's blog, but he didn't mention the problem have
    something with Firefox. His solution may only work in IE, not within
    Firefox. It looks more like a specific Firefox issue, I also find few
    information on it. I suggest you may also post this issue on a Firefox
    forum/newsgroup, to see if you get more information there.

    Sincerely,

    Luke Zhang

    Microsoft Online Community Support
    ications.