Partial messages returned over socket

final74

I have written a Java applicaion that connects via a socket to a
third-party server. The server comms are byte-oriented and I've been
having problems with partial messages being returned by from it. I have
therefore used DataInputStream and DataOutputStream with no buffering
or filter wrappers so as to properly monitor the byte streams to and
from the server.

As soon as I connect, the server sends a response to which I must
reply. Everything proceeds correctly until a point where I expect a
'prompt' from the sever. However, my client actually only receives the
first 8 bytes of the prompt. If I subsequently send an arbitrary
message to the server the client then
receives the remainder of the message. If I then respond to this
prompt, I get no response whatsoever from the server.

The forms of the 'send' and the 'receives' I use are as follows:
[RECEIVE]
byte[] m;
m = new byte[300];
count = in.read(m);

...where in is a DataInputStream. I check the return value,
count.
[SEND]
out.write(m,0,m.length);
out.flush();
..where out is a DataOutputStream, and m is byte[];

Judging by the symptoms, it looks like the stream/socket is becoming
'clogged', somehow. I thought I would avoid this by invoking flush()
during a 'send', thus clearing the socket prior to a response from the
server being transmitted over it. I also always understood that the
underlying TCP/IP would guarantee that the entire message would be sent
but not necessarily in one read. At first sight this appears to be what
is happening, hoever I thought TCP/IP's 'chunking' was dependent upon
an internal limit. Eight bytes seems to be too short for this, however.

I have considered re-designing the app. to use threads and
synchronization techniques. However, this seemed like overkill
given my assumptions regarding flush(), above. I have a feeling I'm
missing some other point, so any insights would
be gratefully received. Thanks.

Thomas Weidenfeller

final74 said:
Judging by the symptoms, it looks like the stream/socket is becoming
'clogged', somehow.

Start with the usual thing in networking: Gather facts by using a
network sniffer. You need to find out if the problem is on the sending
side, the network in between (unlikely from your description), or the
receiving side.
I thought I would avoid this by invoking flush()
during a 'send', thus clearing the socket prior to a response from the
server being transmitted over it. I also always understood that the
underlying TCP/IP would guarantee that the entire message would be sent
but not necessarily in one read.

(a) TCP has no notations of messages at all. It is a stream protocol. It
doesn't send messages, it doesn't care about messages. It sends a data
stream.

(b) If you talk about sending, that would be a write, not a read. A
single write might result in the data being send immediately, not send
(buffered) or partly send - almost entirely at the discretion of the
TCP/IP stack.
At first sight this appears to be what
is happening, hoever I thought TCP/IP's 'chunking' was dependent upon
an internal limit. Eight bytes seems to be too short for this, however.

There is no such thing like like chunks in TCP. Maybe you mean segments.
I have considered re-designing the app. to use threads and
synchronization techniques.

This is a waste of time if you don't know the source of your problems.
There is no point in churning out random code if you don't know what is
wrong.
However, this seemed like overkill
given my assumptions regarding flush(), above. I have a feeling I'm
missing some other point, so any insights would
be gratefully received.

Yes, you are don't base your decisions on facts. Also, from your wording
you seem to miss some understanding of TCP. A good textbook could help here.

/Thomas

Knute Johnson

final74 said:
[...]

You will have problems reading an unknown number of bytes in this
manner. You need to know when you've read the complete prompt.
DataInputStream.read(byte[]) can read any number of bytes from 0 to the
length of the byte[]. Is the data you are reading a string of ascii
characters with a terminator (carriage return or line feed)? If so, use
a Reader and read the String and then respond. If the data is fixed
length, then use a buffer of that length and completely read the response.

byte[] buf = new byte[response length];
int bytesRead = 0;
do {
bytesRead = in.read(buf,bytesRead,buf.length);
} while (bytesRead < buf.length) ;

Unless your communication is really simple the client should be threaded.

Steve Horsley

final74 said:
[...]

It guarantees that it will TRY to send all bytes given it when
you call flush. Barring network problems or window congestion, it
will send them. There is no guarantee how many packets it will
use to send the byte stream, or what the timing will be.

At first sight this appears to be what
is happening, hoever I thought TCP/IP's 'chunking' was dependent upon
an internal limit. Eight bytes seems to be too short for this, however.

I repeat - There is no guarantee how many packets it will use to
send the byte stream, or what the timing will be. (Actually, you
are guaranteed that you will never recieve _part_ of an byte.)
Even if the server sends a "message" all in one packet, there is
no guarantee that the receiving IP stack will deliver it to your
application in one read call.

Don't assume what might and might not happen - write to cope with
the guaranteed behaviour. You have a major error above in
assuming that a single read() call will get everything you are
expecting. This is not guaranteed, as you seem to have
discovered. I am betting that the server sends the "prompt" in at
least 2 packets - maybe a generic linefeed, then a specific text
prompt, message of the day or server version - I dunno. You
should ALWAYS keep calling read() until you are SURE you have all
of the message you expect, to avoid disappointment.

A protocol analyser will prove the point, but could just
encourage you to assume that the server will always behave that
way, which is not guaranteed of course. How the server packetizes
its stream may depend very much on load and process timings.
I have considered re-designing the app. to use threads and
synchronization techniques. However, this seemed like overkill
given my assumptions regarding flush(), above. I have a feeling I'm
missing some other point, so any insights would
be gratefully received. Thanks.

Not necessary really. If you can tell when the end of the
"message" has arrived, just keep reading until it has. If you
can't, then you're screwed and all the threads in the world won't
help figure it out (except maybe a timer thread, but that's
unreliable because network delays can fool you).

final74

Apologies for letting this thread slide: I was diverted onto some
'real' work and had to drop the telnet experiment for a while.

@Thomas I know a little about TCP/IP but I'm no expet. Hence this
project as a starting point so, yeah, chunks probably isnt the offical
term but means the same as segement in my description.

I have no access to network sniffers or any of the usual tools for
debuging such problems. They are locked down and are usable by root
user's only in this installation. The suggestion of a threaded approach
- far from being 'random' code - was an attempt to determine the
problem from another angle. Indeed, I _dont_ know what is wrong which
is exactly why I am trying a number of approaches and posting here. It
is an experiment only; a leraning exercise for me which I do not
consider a waste of time at all! Far from it.

As for basing a diagnosis on facts. I have implemented apps in the past
that communicate over sockets in a variety of languages. When TCP/IP
has segmented the data the number of bytes delivered has always been
numbered in hundreds of bytes. This has been observable over a number
of years. So, I was concerend when I received 'segements' in much
smaller quantities.

@Steve/Knute

I've implemented an algorithm that attempts to determine the end of and
command sequences. Raw text (message of the day) I ignore. This works
but not consistently.
In some instances the call to read the stream appears to stop dead.
There is no opportunity to read agin as the Java method that has been
invoked just does not return though it's process appears to be still
executing.

I have no idea what is happening here. I am specualting as to whether
I've got ahead of telnetd before it's marshalled its responses. So, I
think some further TCP/IP research wopuld be beneficial at this point.

Regards

Cantankerous Old Git

final74 said:
@Steve/Knute

I've implemented an algorithm that attempts to determine the end of and
command sequences. Raw text (message of the day) I ignore. This works
but not consistently.
In some instances the call to read the stream appears to stop dead.
There is no opportunity to read agin as the Java method that has been
invoked just does not return though it's process appears to be still
executing.

I have no idea what is happening here. I am specualting as to whether
I've got ahead of telnetd before it's marshalled its responses. So, I
think some further TCP/IP research wopuld be beneficial at this point.

Regards

This is one of those times when you really NEED an analyser. The
next best thing is to add a routine that logs the length and
content of every read() call. You CAN be sure that the underlying
TCP will not lose data. The most common problem is either
ignoring the length returned from read(), assuming the entire
buffer has been filled or that the entire sent message arrives in
one lump.

Not having a firm way (except time) to know for sure that the
sender has finished is a bind. I have seen servers that upon
receiving a connection, put CR FL in the first packet, then some
telnet negotiation in the second (DO ECHO etc) and a login prompt
in the third.

I have also seen a server that took 60.2 seconds to send the
login prompt after accepting a connection (turned out to be a DNS
configuration error - go figure).

The Cog

final74

Thanks 'Cog'

I've been logging the content all along as you adivsed. It's awkward
because it's intermittent. Once I've read the stream I pass the buffer
to my logging routine which loops through buf.length bytes and writes
them off to a file. If I have determined there is more data to come, or
I want to issue a shell command over the telnet connection, I send data
over the stream, flush() the stream then start reading again. It's at
this point that the read just sits there.

I'll post again if, when I hit upon the answer!

Rgds