[partial] template specialization for a non-member function

puzzlecracker

Guys,

would you refresh my memory, before I start a compiler, as to whether
standard supports partial template specialization non-member function?
references would be appreciated too!

Thanks

Noah Roberts

puzzlecracker said:
Guys,

would you refresh my memory, before I start a compiler, as to whether
standard supports partial template specialization non-member function?
references would be appreciated too!

Before you start a compiler I'd recommend you have the standard on hand
and have it pretty well memorized...at least those sections before the
library description.

James Kanze

puzzlecracker wrote:
Before you start a compiler I'd recommend you have the standard on hand
and have it pretty well memorized...at least those sections before the
library description.

I think (or hope, at least) that he meant "start a compile", and
not "start a compiler"; i.e. that he is going to compile some
code, and not write a compiler. If he's going to write code
using templates, he probably should have read the Josuttis and
Vandevoorte, and have it handy. The standard's not much use in
such cases, however, since it's fairly unreadable, and real
compilers don't always follow it that closely anyway. (The
Josuttis and Vandevoorte is actually exceptional in this regard,
in that it treats both the theory and the practice, making it
quite clear which is which.)