    I don´t understand how C became so popular, although much better
    programming languages existed in the 70s or 80s or 90s.

    Pascal is much better.

    Faith Dorell, Oct 18, 2003

  2. Faith Dorell

    Mike Wahler Guest

    Re: [troll] Pascal is better than C

    "Faith Dorell" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I really don´t like C.

    Well, then imo you're posting in the wrong place.

    > You can write better programs in BASIC than in
    > C, if you don´t like this language.

    Then by all means do so. Why are you posting this here,
    where by definition we talk about C?

    > I don´t understand how C became so popular, although much better
    > programming languages existed in the 70s or 80s or 90s.
    >
    > Pascal is much better.

    Your opinion has been noted.

    If you do want to talk about C, here's the place.
    If not, then why not try a newsgroup where your
    interests *are* discussed?

    -Mike

    Mike Wahler, Oct 18, 2003

  3. Re: [troll] Pascal is better than C

    On 17 Oct 2003 17:07:32 -0700
    (Faith Dorell) wrote:

    > Pascal is much better.

    It sounds like "Coffee is better than chocolate" for me

    Why trolling when you know that your opinions won't be defended ?

    ThE_TemPLaR

    Eddahbi Karim, Oct 18, 2003
  4. Faith Dorell

    Sidney Cadot Guest

    Mike Wahler wrote:
    > "Faith Dorell" <> wrote in message

    The best anagram for the sender's name I can come up with for now is

    "I haf trolled"...

    Just about as close as "cody" is to "decoy", though I still would hope
    this is coincidental.

    One must not get too paranoid... On close inspection, my name turns out
    to be an anagram for both 'tiny sad code' and 'I coded nasty' ;-)

    Best regards,

    Sidney Cadot

    Sidney Cadot, Oct 18, 2003
  5. Faith Dorell

    j Guest

    > I really don´t like C.You can write better programs in BASIC than in
    > C, if you don´t like this language.
    >
    > I don´t understand how C became so popular, although much better
    > programming languages existed in the 70s or 80s or 90s.
    >
    > Pascal is much better.

    "Better"? Rubbish! Filth! Muck! Slime! Boo! Boo! Boo!
    "Better" is purely based on ideological reasoning.

    http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame29.html

    j, Oct 18, 2003
  6. Faith Dorell

    Fronsac Guest

    "Eddahbi Karim" <> wrote in message
    > On 17 Oct 2003 17:07:32 -0700
    > (Faith Dorell) wrote:
    >
    > > Pascal is much better.

    > It sounds like "Coffee is better than chocolate" for me
    >
    > Why trolling when you know that your opinions won't be defended ?

    > ThE_TemPLaR

    That guy must be coming over from Slashdot or something...

    Fronsac, Oct 18, 2003

    To: Niklaus Wirth
    From: Richard Heathfield on behalf of comp.lang.c
    Subject: Re: Pascal is better than C
    Date: 18 Oct 2003

    Dear Mr Wirth

    It has come to my attention that Pascal is much better than C. I apologise
    for using C for the last 14 years, and for using BASIC and EXEC for several
    years before that. (I presume Pascal is better than those, too.)

    I would also like a number of other offences to be taken into consideration,
    involving (in no particular order) C++, Python, Perl, QBasic (and
    QuickBasic), Visual Basic, KMan/3, dBase III+, Java, Javascript, C#,
    assembly language and machine code.

    I am sure that all my fellow-subscribers to comp.lang.c would like to join
    with me in a mass migration to Pascal. I hope you have enough chairs in
    your office, because we'd like to get the inside gen on the language from
    the guy who knows, before we dare show our faces in comp.lang.pascal. So,
    we'll see you on Tuesday. Please have lots of coffee and biscuits all ready
    for us, because it's going to be a long day.

    Regards
    Richard Heathfield et al

    --
    Richard Heathfield :

    Richard Heathfield, Oct 18, 2003
  8. Faith Dorell

    James Hu Guest

    James Hu, Oct 18, 2003
  9. Faith Dorell

    Alan Connor Guest

    On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 06:25:12 +0000 (UTC), Richard Heathfield <> wrote:

    > Faith Dorell wrote:
    >
    >> I really don't like C.You can write better programs in BASIC than in
    >> C, if you don't like this language.
    >>
    >> I don't understand how C became so popular, although much better
    >> programming languages existed in the 70s or 80s or 90s.
    >>
    >> Pascal is much better.

    > To: Niklaus Wirth
    > From: Richard Heathfield on behalf of comp.lang.c
    > Subject: Re: Pascal is better than C
    > Date: 18 Oct 2003
    >
    > Dear Mr Wirth
    >
    > It has come to my attention that Pascal is much better than C. I apologise
    > for using C for the last 14 years, and for using BASIC and EXEC for several
    > years before that. (I presume Pascal is better than those, too.)
    >
    > I would also like a number of other offences to be taken into consideration,
    > involving (in no particular order) C++, Python, Perl, QBasic (and
    > QuickBasic), Visual Basic, KMan/3, dBase III+, Java, Javascript, C#,
    > assembly language and machine code.
    >
    > I am sure that all my fellow-subscribers to comp.lang.c would like to join
    > with me in a mass migration to Pascal. I hope you have enough chairs in
    > your office, because we'd like to get the inside gen on the language from
    > the guy who knows, before we dare show our faces in comp.lang.pascal. So,
    > we'll see you on Tuesday. Please have lots of coffee and biscuits all ready
    > for us, because it's going to be a long day.
    >
    > Regards
    > Richard Heathfield et al

    <chortle>

    --
    Alan C
    Posts with sigs of > 4 lines, or not in plain text, are dumped by my filters.

    Alan Connor, Oct 18, 2003
  10. (Faith Dorell) wrote:

    >Pascal is much better.

    Wotsit Wirth?
    --
    Irrwahn
    ()

    Irrwahn Grausewitz, Oct 18, 2003
  11. Faith Dorell

    maths_fan Guest

    Do you really think so? By my mind, you are absolutely wrong. C is one
    of the most powerful language around the world (in spite of I was
    programming on Assembler most of the time). As for Pascal it's quite
    good for educational purpose and nothing else. In C you can do just
    anything you want, you can create things, the things, which are not
    allowed in Pascal. Niklaus Wirth is a great man, anyway. I read his
    book and it's quite great. His Modula-2 is also quite okay, but no one
    uses it today. As for BASIC... It's childish, BASIC is a language for
    children. So it's impossible to compare this two languages at all.
    How come you've got an idea that Pascal is better?

    maths_fan, Oct 18, 2003
  12. On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 09:24:36 -0700, maths_fan wrote:

    > Do you really think so? By my mind, you are absolutely wrong. C is one
    > of the most powerful language around the world (in spite of I was
    > programming on Assembler most of the time). As for Pascal it's quite
    > good for educational purpose and nothing else.

    So you won't be joining us in Mr. Wirth's office then?

    > As for BASIC... It's childish, BASIC is a language for
    > children. So it's impossible to compare this two languages at all.

    BASIC is an immensely powerful language.

    Sheldon Simms, Oct 18, 2003
  13. Richard Heathfield, Oct 18, 2003
  14. On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 01:49:46 -0500, in comp.lang.c , James Hu
    <> wrote:

    >[snip]
    >
    >http://www.lysator.liu.se/c/bwk-on-pascal.html

    Ah, in the old days, it took so long to get stuff on the web didn't
    it? At least 24 hours as I recall.

    --
    Mark McIntyre

    Mark McIntyre, Oct 18, 2003
  15. Faith Dorell

    maths_fan Guest

    Sheldon Simms <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 09:24:36 -0700, maths_fan wrote:
    >
    > > Do you really think so? By my mind, you are absolutely wrong. C is one
    > > of the most powerful language around the world (in spite of I was
    > > programming on Assembler most of the time). As for Pascal it's quite
    > > good for educational purpose and nothing else.

    > So you won't be joining us in Mr. Wirth's office then?
    >
    > > As for BASIC... It's childish, BASIC is a language for
    > > children. So it's impossible to compare this two languages at all.

    > BASIC is an immensely powerful language.

    To Mr. Wirth's office - anytime!

    As for BASIC, I don't agree, why you all love BASIC so much, ah? C is
    better anyway *^*

    maths_fan, Oct 19, 2003
  16. Faith Dorell

    maths_fan Guest

    Richard Heathfield <> wrote in message news:<bmrvhi$kjj$>...
    > maths_fan wrote:
    >
    > > Do you really think so?

    > It appears I hooked one. And I wasn't even trying!

    No, you didn't hook me at all (don't be so happy). Maybe you'll just
    tell me what you like in Pascal?! Compared to BASIC, it's really
    heaven, of course.

    maths_fan, Oct 19, 2003
  17. [OT] Language bashing troll #1834697: Pascal is better than BASIC was: Re: Pascal is better than C

    Trolling (maths_fan) wrote:

    >Richard Heathfield <> wrote in message news:<bmrvhi$kjj$>...

    <snip>
    >> It appears I hooked one. And I wasn't even trying!

    >No, you didn't hook me at all (don't be so happy).

    Why do you act as if, then? :)

    >Maybe you'll just
    >tell me what you like in Pascal?!

    The period in "END."

    >Compared to BASIC, it's really
    >heaven, of course.

    Compared to which BASIC dialect?

    After showing that you don't know anything about C and why people use
    it, you now don't hesitate to show your lack of knowledge about Pascal
    and BASIC. What next, "Logo is better than Lisp"? :)

    Irrwahn
    --
    A bird in the hand makes it hard to blow your nose.

    Irrwahn Grausewitz, Oct 19, 2003
  18. [OT] Re: Pascal is better than C

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 05:04:40 -0700, maths_fan wrote:

    > Sheldon Simms <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >> On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 09:24:36 -0700, maths_fan wrote:
    >>
    >> > As for BASIC... It's childish, BASIC is a language for
    >> > children. So it's impossible to compare this two languages at all.

    >> BASIC is an immensely powerful language.

    > As for BASIC, I don't agree

    Well you're wrong. How do you do this in C?

    10 ONERR GOTO 1000
    20 REM Do Stuff
    950 END
    1000 ERRNO = ... : REM Get error number in ERRNO
    1010 ON ERRNO GOTO 1050,1100,1150,1200,1250,...
    1050 REM Handle Error #1
    1090 RESUME
    1100 REM Handle Error #2

    Not to mention that you can do anything with PEEK, POKE, and CALL

    Sheldon Simms, Oct 19, 2003
  19. Re: [OT] Language bashing troll #1834697: Pascal is better than BASIC was: Re: Pascal is better than C

    Irrwahn Grausewitz <> spoke thus:

    > "Logo is better than Lisp"? :)

    How can a language with a turtle be bad? I mean, if you can't see the turtle,
    clearly turtle == NULL and you should malloc() a new one ;)

    Christopher Benson-Manica, Oct 20, 2003
  20. Faith Dorell

    Dan Pop Guest

    Re: [OT] Re: Pascal is better than C

    In <> Sheldon Simms <> writes:

    >On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 05:04:40 -0700, maths_fan wrote:
    >
    >> Sheldon Simms <> wrote in message news:<>...

    >>> BASIC is an immensely powerful language.

    >> As for BASIC, I don't agree

    >Well you're wrong. How do you do this in C?
    >
    > 10 ONERR GOTO 1000
    > 20 REM Do Stuff
    > 950 END
    > 1000 ERRNO = ... : REM Get error number in ERRNO
    > 1010 ON ERRNO GOTO 1050,1100,1150,1200,1250,...
    > 1050 REM Handle Error #1
    > 1090 RESUME
    > 1100 REM Handle Error #2

    This is not a portable BASIC program.

    >Not to mention that you can do anything with PEEK, POKE, and CALL

    None of them being portable BASIC features.

    All of these things can be easily done using non-portable C code, as
    well: the "program" can be implemented with signal handlers, PEEK and
    POKE by dereferencing pointers, CALL by converting a data pointer to a
    function pointer and dereferencing it. Unlike the BASIC example, all
    these can be done by (ab)using *exclusively* standard C features ;-)

    Dan
    --
    Dan Pop
    DESY Zeuthen, RZ group