Pascal is better than C

Faith Dorell

I really don´t like C.You can write better programs in BASIC than in
C, if you don´t like this language.

I don´t understand how C became so popular, although much better
programming languages existed in the 70s or 80s or 90s.

Pascal is much better.

Mike Wahler

Faith Dorell said:
I really don´t like C.

Well, then imo you're posting in the wrong place.
You can write better programs in BASIC than in
C, if you don´t like this language.

Then by all means do so. Why are you posting this here,
where by definition we talk about C?
I don´t understand how C became so popular, although much better
programming languages existed in the 70s or 80s or 90s.

Pascal is much better.

Your opinion has been noted.

If you do want to talk about C, here's the place.
If not, then why not try a newsgroup where your
interests *are* discussed?

-Mike

Eddahbi Karim

On 17 Oct 2003 17:07:32 -0700
Pascal is much better.

It sounds like "Coffee is better than chocolate" for me

Why trolling when you know that your opinions won't be defended ?

Sidney Cadot

Mike said:

The best anagram for the sender's name I can come up with for now is

"I haf trolled"...

Just about as close as "cody" is to "decoy", though I still would hope
this is coincidental.

One must not get too paranoid... On close inspection, my name turns out
to be an anagram for both 'tiny sad code' and 'I coded nasty' ;-)

Best regards,

Sidney Cadot

Faith Dorell said:
I really don´t like C.You can write better programs in BASIC than in
C, if you don´t like this language.

I don´t understand how C became so popular, although much better
programming languages existed in the 70s or 80s or 90s.

Pascal is much better.

"Better"? Rubbish! Filth! Muck! Slime! Boo! Boo! Boo!
"Better" is purely based on ideological reasoning.

http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame29.html

Fronsac

Eddahbi Karim said:
On 17 Oct 2003 17:07:32 -0700

It sounds like "Coffee is better than chocolate" for me

Why trolling when you know that your opinions won't be defended ?

That guy must be coming over from Slashdot or something...

Richard Heathfield

To: Niklaus Wirth
From: Richard Heathfield on behalf of comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: Pascal is better than C
Date: 18 Oct 2003

Dear Mr Wirth

It has come to my attention that Pascal is much better than C. I apologise
for using C for the last 14 years, and for using BASIC and EXEC for several
years before that. (I presume Pascal is better than those, too.)

I would also like a number of other offences to be taken into consideration,
involving (in no particular order) C++, Python, Perl, QBasic (and
QuickBasic), Visual Basic, KMan/3, dBase III+, Java, Javascript, C#,
assembly language and machine code.

I am sure that all my fellow-subscribers to comp.lang.c would like to join
with me in a mass migration to Pascal. I hope you have enough chairs in
your office, because we'd like to get the inside gen on the language from
the guy who knows, before we dare show our faces in comp.lang.pascal. So,
we'll see you on Tuesday. Please have lots of coffee and biscuits all ready
for us, because it's going to be a long day.

Regards
Richard Heathfield et al

Alan Connor

To: Niklaus Wirth
From: Richard Heathfield on behalf of comp.lang.c
Date: 18 Oct 2003

Dear Mr Wirth

[...]

<chortle>

maths_fan

Do you really think so? By my mind, you are absolutely wrong. C is one
of the most powerful language around the world (in spite of I was
programming on Assembler most of the time). As for Pascal it's quite
good for educational purpose and nothing else. In C you can do just
anything you want, you can create things, the things, which are not
allowed in Pascal. Niklaus Wirth is a great man, anyway. I read his
book and it's quite great. His Modula-2 is also quite okay, but no one
uses it today. As for BASIC... It's childish, BASIC is a language for
children. So it's impossible to compare this two languages at all.
How come you've got an idea that Pascal is better?

Sheldon Simms

Do you really think so? By my mind, you are absolutely wrong. C is one
of the most powerful language around the world (in spite of I was
programming on Assembler most of the time). As for Pascal it's quite
good for educational purpose and nothing else.

So you won't be joining us in Mr. Wirth's office then?
As for BASIC... It's childish, BASIC is a language for
children. So it's impossible to compare this two languages at all.

BASIC is an immensely powerful language.

maths_fan

Sheldon Simms said:
So you won't be joining us in Mr. Wirth's office then?

BASIC is an immensely powerful language.

To Mr. Wirth's office - anytime!

As for BASIC, I don't agree, why you all love BASIC so much, ah? C is
better anyway *^*

maths_fan

Richard Heathfield said:
It appears I hooked one. And I wasn't even trying!

No, you didn't hook me at all (don't be so happy). Maybe you'll just
tell me what you like in Pascal?! Compared to BASIC, it's really
heaven, of course.

Irrwahn Grausewitz

Trolling said:
Richard Heathfield <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

No, you didn't hook me at all (don't be so happy).

Why do you act as if, then? :)
Maybe you'll just
tell me what you like in Pascal?!

The period in "END."
Compared to BASIC, it's really
heaven, of course.

Compared to which BASIC dialect?

After showing that you don't know anything about C and why people use
it, you now don't hesitate to show your lack of knowledge about Pascal
and BASIC. What next, "Logo is better than Lisp"? :)

Irrwahn

Sheldon Simms

As for BASIC, I don't agree

Well you're wrong. How do you do this in C?

10 ONERR GOTO 1000
20 REM Do Stuff
950 END
1000 ERRNO = ... : REM Get error number in ERRNO
1010 ON ERRNO GOTO 1050,1100,1150,1200,1250,...
1050 REM Handle Error #1
1090 RESUME
1100 REM Handle Error #2

Not to mention that you can do anything with PEEK, POKE, and CALL

Christopher Benson-Manica

Irrwahn Grausewitz said:
"Logo is better than Lisp"? :)

How can a language with a turtle be bad? I mean, if you can't see the turtle,
clearly turtle == NULL and you should malloc() a new one ;)

Dan Pop

In said:
Well you're wrong. How do you do this in C?

10 ONERR GOTO 1000
20 REM Do Stuff
950 END
1000 ERRNO = ... : REM Get error number in ERRNO
1010 ON ERRNO GOTO 1050,1100,1150,1200,1250,...
1050 REM Handle Error #1
1090 RESUME
1100 REM Handle Error #2

This is not a portable BASIC program.
Not to mention that you can do anything with PEEK, POKE, and CALL

None of them being portable BASIC features.

All of these things can be easily done using non-portable C code, as
well: the "program" can be implemented with signal handlers, PEEK and
POKE by dereferencing pointers, CALL by converting a data pointer to a
function pointer and dereferencing it. Unlike the BASIC example, all
these can be done by (ab)using *exclusively* standard C features ;-)

Dan