Pass aspx pages to designer

Carlo Marchesoni

Ideally I would be able to give my aspx/ascx pages to a
designer which makes them nice and since I'm, using code-
behind he will not destroy my code.
But unfortunately he says that this format (aspx) is not
recognized by FrontPage - is there another tool that
designers like and allows to work directly on aspx
pages ?

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Carlo Marchesoni,

Welcome to Microsoft Newsgroup Service. Based on your problem description,
you are looking for a IDE(except VS.NET) for developing ASP.NET web pages.
As for "Font Page", it is just for desiging static HTML pages, if you want
to design ASP.NET web page and don't want to use VS.NET, I may try the
"ASP.NET WEB METRIX" tool, its a free software which also provides
very good support for desiging the ASP.NET web application and could be
integried with IIS. You can get it at :
http://www.asp.net

Please have a look.
BTW,since the VS.NET will provide more strong functions and assistants on
designing ASP.NET web application, I recommend that you still use VS.NET
firstly. :)

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Guest

Thank you for your reply.
Of course I go on using VS.NET. The problem is that I
have to give the aspx/ascx pages to an external designer
and this guys don't want to bother with IDE's, they use
more design-specific tools like Dreamweaver, Frontpage
etc.
I'm sure there is more poeple out there that have the
same problem, how do they solve this ?

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

In most cases, you can have the designer work in FrontPage or DreamWeaver.
When they are finished, it is your job to change the regular HTML controls
into ASP.NET server controls and hook up the data. It isn't very hard to
relate the HTML to its corresponding server-side control.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Carlo Marcheson,

Thank you for the response. As for the problem you met with, I think Ken
Cox's suggestion is quite correct. As you mentioned, many web UI desinger
prefer some professinal UI deisigners such as Dreamweaver( I also like it
verymuch:)) , Frontpage, ........ They don't mention what is servercontrol
or other serverside features , they can generate the good UI using the
satic HTML elements. Then, the the rest task is for the programmer to
change some of the html elemets(html controls) to webserver controls and
add the serveside features(such as serverside event or data member
bindings....). So I think it's better that the UI designers don't care for
the programming details, just design the page as they used to like. And
after the paging designing complete, let the programer to add code logics
in IDEs. Of course, there must have some converting works on the static
html element to the serverside webcontrols. Maybe it is somewhat
uncomfotable, but that make the designing and the programming logic
separated from eachother, and it a good design pattern in web designing, do
you think so ?

If you have anything unclear, please feel free to let me know.
Merry Christmas!