pass basic authentication credentials server side iis5 asp

Andrew

The site is configured for anonymous access.
One area is configured with basic authentication.
When the user clicks on a menu item they will request an .asp file in
the anonymous part of the site that will redirect or trasfer them to
the secured part. Along with this request I would like to pass the
necessary username and password. Using:

Response.Redirect(http://username:password@website/asp/index.asp)

doesnt work as the credentials are lost

Using:

Server.transfer doesnt work either.

Any ideas. I have seen this q asked many times before but never
answered properly.

thanks
Andrew

Tom Kaminski [MVP]

Andrew said:
The site is configured for anonymous access.
One area is configured with basic authentication.
When the user clicks on a menu item they will request an .asp file in
the anonymous part of the site that will redirect or trasfer them to
the secured part. Along with this request I would like to pass the
necessary username and password. Using:

Response.Redirect(http://username:password@website/asp/index.asp)

doesnt work as the credentials are lost

Using:

Server.transfer doesnt work either.

Any ideas. I have seen this q asked many times before but never
answered properly.

IE doesn't support that anymore, plus it's insecure. What's the point of
doing that? Maybe we can find a better way ...

Andrew

Our intranet is currently configured for anonymous access. We have
some documents that I only want certain people to have access to. The
first time someone logs in we ask for their userid and password which
is then encrypted and stored in a cookie. Therefore on the server side
we have these credentials available. We filter against a list to allow
access to the secure are. Then from within this area I want the users
to be able to get the documents without being prompted for their
userid and password.

thanks