pass basic authentication credentials server side iis5 asp

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Andrew, Feb 15, 2005.

  1. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    The site is configured for anonymous access.
    One area is configured with basic authentication.
    When the user clicks on a menu item they will request an .asp file in
    the anonymous part of the site that will redirect or trasfer them to
    the secured part. Along with this request I would like to pass the
    necessary username and password. Using:

    Response.Redirect(http://username:password@website/asp/index.asp)

    doesnt work as the credentials are lost

    Using:

    Server.transfer doesnt work either.

    Any ideas. I have seen this q asked many times before but never
    answered properly.

    thanks
    Andrew

    Andrew, Feb 15, 2005

  2. "Andrew" <> wrote in message
    > The site is configured for anonymous access.
    > One area is configured with basic authentication.
    > When the user clicks on a menu item they will request an .asp file in
    > the anonymous part of the site that will redirect or trasfer them to
    > the secured part. Along with this request I would like to pass the
    > necessary username and password. Using:
    >
    > Response.Redirect(http://username:password@website/asp/index.asp)
    >
    > doesnt work as the credentials are lost
    >
    > Using:
    >
    > Server.transfer doesnt work either.
    >
    > Any ideas. I have seen this q asked many times before but never
    > answered properly.

    IE doesn't support that anymore, plus it's insecure. What's the point of
    doing that? Maybe we can find a better way ...

    Tom Kaminski [MVP], Feb 15, 2005

  3. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Our intranet is currently configured for anonymous access. We have
    some documents that I only want certain people to have access to. The
    first time someone logs in we ask for their userid and password which
    is then encrypted and stored in a cookie. Therefore on the server side
    we have these credentials available. We filter against a list to allow
    access to the secure are. Then from within this area I want the users
    to be able to get the documents without being prompted for their
    userid and password.

    thanks

    Andrew, Feb 16, 2005