    Thank you so much.
    --
    Betty

    c676228, Nov 21, 2007

  2. c676228

    Evertjan. Guest

    =?Utf-8?B?YzY3NjIyOA==?= wrote on 21 nov 2007 in

    > Is there an easier way to handle that?

    Please do not use the subjectline as part of your Q.

    > I used Javascript to handle
    > this when our two domains are hosted on two different servers(on
    > different networks)

    Cookies exist on the client per domain, and cannot be passed to another
    domain.

    The cookie content string can be palced on two domains seperately.

    > and our search engine marketing people don't like
    > the javascript links since they think the links are not favorable to a
    > search robot.

    Sorry? Does this have anything to do with your Q?

    > Now our company is thinking about hosting these two domians on the
    > same server,
    > So I am wodering if there is any easy way to do that. Would you
    > provide me some clues?

    What you can do with two domains on two servers, you can do with two
    domains on one server. Cookies do not live on a server.

    Any reason why this sould not be the case?

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan., Nov 21, 2007

  3. Hi Betty,

    As for the "copy cookie from one domain to another", I'd like to confirm
    the exact things you want to achieve:

    ** cookie is stored on client machine and whenever browser visit a site, it
    will send the cookies (belong to that site based on the server domain name)
    to server.

    ** when you change cookies, that means you change the cookies at
    server-side and it is until the response reach client will the cookies data
    actually be updated in client store

    ** For cookies, your server-side code(ASP or ASP.NET) can only add/remove
    cookie within its own domain(or the same main domain and different sub
    domain).

    Therefore, normally, manipulate cookies under same top domain (and
    different sub domains) are directly supported. However, if you want to
    manipulate cookies for different top domain in single application, you will
    need particular machnism setup in your context(for all those
    applications/sites that want to share cookies). Here is an article
    discussing something about this:

    #Sharing Cookies Across Domains
    http://support.softartisans.com/kbview_666.aspx

    Hope this helps some.

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    --------------------

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Nov 22, 2007
  4. c676228

    Brynn Guest

    On Nov 21, 3:47 pm, c676228 <> wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > Is there an easier way to handle that? I used Javascript to handle this when
    > our two domains are hosted on two different servers(on different networks)
    > and our search engine marketing people don't like the javascript links since
    > they think the links are not favorable to a search robot.
    >
    > Now our company is thinking about hosting these two domians on the same
    > server,
    > So I am wodering if there is any easy way to do that. Would you provide me
    > some clues?
    > Thank you so much.
    > --
    > Betty

    I would also be interested in knowing what you are storing in those
    cookies.

    I have changed almost everything over to server side data storage,
    including shopping carts, etc... all on my servers.

    The only thing the cookie does for me is keeps them unique for me. If
    I wanted them to be on 2 domains ... during a login process I would
    simply have a data pass to a cookie on the other domain. I like to use
    invisible iframes in my pages for passes like that.

    I had one project that I wanted to keep a session alive between 2
    sites even ... I think I used a 1px by 1px iframe in the footer of
    both websites that was a blank design asp webpage.

    Anyway, let us know more about what you are doing between them,

    Brynn Curry

    Brynn, Nov 24, 2007
  5. c676228

    c676228 Guest

    Hi all,
    Thanks for your reply. Here is my case.
    Our company initially(about more than 5 years ago) has a web site(domain A)
    which is hosted by a company on a lynix system. Later on our company decided
    to have some dynamic pages(sales processes) which were written in asp on our
    site too. So the company decided to host those pages on a different
    domain(domain B) with another hosting company. So when one of our customers
    gets on to our page 1 on domain A from a specific agents site, (we always
    have a producer code, stored as a cookie, assigned to our specific agent),
    and then if this customer's navigation on our domain A lead to a sale on our
    domain B, say page 2, then this cookie values need to be carried onto domain
    B, so this value could be written into our database and the sales credit will
    go to our specific agents.

    When we pass our cookie value from domain A to domain B, I used the
    javascript. that's why I am asking th question. I am trying to think about
    another way which will be better for search engine.
    Thank you.
    --
    Betty

    c676228, Nov 26, 2007
  6. Hi Betty,

    Yes, you may need to look for some other approaches. For share cookie, I
    think the last link in my previous reply (below) should be a doable
    appraoch:

    http://support.softartisans.com/kbview_666.aspx

    Hi BeSharp,

    As for the D LINQ selection scenario you mentioned, I think it sounds like
    what you want to do is a SQL "LIKE" comparison. For {"...",
    "..."}.contains, "contains" actually means that the input parameter exactly
    match any of the i tem in collection, that is not substring mapping. For
    substring mapping, you should use SQL "Like" style selection. Here is a web
    thread discussing on using "LIKE" query in LINQ:

    #using LIKE in DLinq
    http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=308989&SiteID=1

    Hope this helps.

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Nov 27, 2007
  7. c676228

    c676228 Guest

    Hi Steven,
    You are right. The link you provided is dorable for my case. In order to
    replace all javascript coded links from domain A, I need to replace all the
    html pages on domain A to .asp page, so I can pass cookie value from query
    string from domain A to domain B. This will be beneficail to site traffic
    since a crawler will index those pages.

    Thank you so much for your great help
    --
    Betty

    c676228, Nov 29, 2007
  8. You're welcome :)

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    --------------------
    >From: =?Utf-8?B?YzY3NjIyOA==?= <>
    >Subject: Re: pass cookie from one domain to another on the same server
    >Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 10:15:03 -0800

    >Hi Steven,
    >You are right. The link you provided is dorable for my case. In order to
    >replace all javascript coded links from domain A, I need to replace all

    the
    >html pages on domain A to .asp page, so I can pass cookie value from query
    >string from domain A to domain B. This will be beneficail to site traffic
    >since a crawler will index those pages.
    >
    >Thank you so much for your great help
    >--
    >Betty
    >

    >"Steven Cheng[MSFT]" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Betty,
    >>
    >> Yes, you may need to look for some other approaches. For share cookie,

    >> think the last link in my previous reply (below) should be a doable
    >> appraoch:
    >>
    >> http://support.softartisans.com/kbview_666.aspx
    >>
    >> Hi BeSharp,
    >>
    >> As for the D LINQ selection scenario you mentioned, I think it sounds

    like
    >> what you want to do is a SQL "LIKE" comparison. For {"...",
    >> "..."}.contains, "contains" actually means that the input parameter

    exactly
    >> match any of the i tem in collection, that is not substring mapping.

    For
    >> substring mapping, you should use SQL "Like" style selection. Here is a

    web
    >> thread discussing on using "LIKE" query in LINQ:
    >>
    >> #using LIKE in DLinq
    >> http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=308989&SiteID=1
    >>
    >> Hope this helps.
    >>
    >> Sincerely,
    >>
    >> Steven Cheng
    >>
    >> Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    rights.

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Nov 30, 2007
  9. c676228

    c676228 Guest

    Hi Steven,

    I am bit confused about cookie again.
    Based on the informaiton you provided. I have the following asp code to pass
    a cookie id value from domainA to domainB. But it seems that cookie
    behaviors in firefox and IE are different and also the cookie value written
    by IE cannot be recognized by firefox and vise vursa.

    What this code basically does is check the querystring to see if the number
    is there, if yes, set the value to the cookie called id, if not, we check the
    cookie id on client's machine for this domainA , if it is there,use this
    value as cookie id value, if not, assign a default number 12345 to this
    cookie id.

    function WriteLinkPgm is for creating a dynamic link to domainB with this
    cookie id value attached to a specific link.

    When I tested in IE, everything seems to work as what I want. but when I use
    firefox to do the testing and when I close the first firefox browser, the
    initial cookie value cannot be recognized by the second firefox browser, say
    the initial is 22222, the second browser id value will be "12345"
    instead(which is a default value.) if this time the web address doesn't have
    a specific number attached, but I want 22222. why firefox forgets, but if I
    leave the first firefox open, it works. but I did set the expires property,
    besides, when you open both IE and firefox two browsers, it seems that the
    cookie value set up by one of the browsers cannot be recognized by the other,
    I set the domain property and path, how come?

    Sincerely
    Betty

    <%
    Dim HttpStr, LiveFlag
    LiveFlag=False
    If LiveFlag Then
    HttpStr="https://"
    Else
    HttpStr="http://"
    End If

    pcnumber = Request.ServerVariables("QUERY_STRING")
    If NOT isNULL(pcnumber) and Len(pcnumber)>=5 and Len(pcnumber)<=7 Then
    Response.Cookies("id") = pcnumber
    Else
    id = Request.Cookies("id")
    If ((IsNull(Trim(id))) OR (Trim(Len(id)) = 0)) Then
    Response.Cookies("id") ="12345" 'a defualt cookie value
    Else
    Response.Cookies("id")=id
    End If
    End If

    Response.Cookies("id").Domain = ".domainA.com"
    Response.Cookies("id").Expires = "December 31, 2020"
    Response.cookies("id").path="/"

    id = Request.Cookies("id")

    Function WriteLinkPgm(byVal DomainB, byVal Pgm, byVal DisplayText)

    WriteLinkPgm="<A HREF=" & HttpStr & DomainB & Pgm & "?" & id & ">" &
    DisplayText & "</A>"

    End Function
    %>

    --
    Betty

    c676228, Jan 25, 2008
  10. c676228

    c676228 Guest

    Hi all,

    At least I figured out part of it. Firefox gives user more control about the
    cookies. So my firefox somehow set up the cookie like "keep it until I close
    browser" not " until they expire".
    That's why the firefox cannot remember the cookies set up in the former
    session. If it sets to until they expire, everything is just like IE.

    But I still don't get the part why the cookies set up by IE cannot be
    recognized by firefox.
    --
    Betty

    c676228, Jan 25, 2008
  11. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed =?Utf-8?B?YzY3NjIyOA==?=
    <> writing in

    > Hi all,
    >
    > At least I figured out part of it. Firefox gives user more control
    > about the cookies. So my firefox somehow set up the cookie like "keep
    > it until I close browser" not " until they expire".
    > That's why the firefox cannot remember the cookies set up in the
    > former session. If it sets to until they expire, everything is just
    > like IE.
    >
    > But I still don't get the part why the cookies set up by IE cannot be
    > recognized by firefox.

    Because it is two different browsers, with two different cookie folders.
    I have Opera, Safari, IE (several versions), and Firefox. I can open
    them all, and each will have a different cookie.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services

    Adrienne Boswell, Jan 26, 2008
  12. Hi Betty,

    As for the cookie, I agree with Adrienne that different browser may have
    different implementatin to persist cookies at client-side. Therefore, if
    you visit the same site via different browsers, cookies are not supposed to
    share between them. BTW, I've also updated you in your another new thread.

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    --------------------
    <>

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Jan 28, 2008
  13. c676228

    c676228 Guest

    Hi Steven,
    I searched for a while, it seems someone implement in php to handle cookies
    among different browser, wondering if you have any that kind of leads in asp.

    Sincerely
    --
    Betty

    c676228, Jan 29, 2008
  14. Hi Betty,

    As for sharing cookie, so far what I've got is how to share cookies between
    different domain or between different site such as ASP.NET/ASP or JSP. For
    different client browsers, I'm afraid it would be not quite doable since
    the browser's cookie setting is totally managed at client-side. Also, for
    server-side web technology, how the client process cookie is completely
    transparent, that's why I think it would be quite doable here. If you want
    to make sure users using both browsers have a certain state set in cookie,
    I think you may do some checking at the begining of each page. For example,
    in your page, always check whether a cookie item exists, if not, generate
    it.

    &

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Jan 30, 2008