Pass data to a subprocess

Discussion in 'Python' started by andrea crotti, Jul 31, 2012.

  1. I'm having fun in the world of multiprocessing, and I would like some
    suggestions.

    For example suppose I want to create many processes and pass them some
    data to process (also why they are running).

    I found many nice things (Pipe, Manager and so on), but actually even
    this seems to work:

    class MyProcess(Process):
    def __init__(self):
    Process.__init__(self)
    self.ls = []

    def __str__(self):
    return str(self.ls)

    def add(self, ls):
    self.ls += ls

    def run(self):
    print("running the process in another subprocess")

    def procs():
    mp = MyProcess()
    mp.start()
    # with the join we are actually waiting for the end of the running time
    mp.join()
    mp.add([1,2,3])
    mp.add([2,3,4])
    print(mp)

    Which is a bit surprising, because it means that I can pass data to an
    object that is running on another process.
    Is it because of some magic in the background and can I rely on that or
    simply I didn't understand how it works?
    andrea crotti, Jul 31, 2012