Pass file name parameter to xsl stylesheet

Luke Airig

I am using the Saxon 6.5.3 engine and I have an xsl stylesheet that
merges two files on a date_time field and writes out a tab-delimited
flat file. My working version has a hard-coded file name in the xsl
file. I dug through the
Saxon documenation to find a way to feed a file name param to
eliminate the hard-coded file name in the xsl. This version executes
but does not appear to do the merge processing and drops the longitude
and latitude values. Can
anyone give me some insight as to what I am doing wrong with this?
My command line run syntax is commented at the bottom.

merge_lrv_gps_and_trans_to_tab_delim.xsl
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
<xsl:eek:utput method="text"/>
<xsl:variable name="delim" select="' '"/> <!-- tab -->
<xsl:variable name="nl" select="'
'"/> <!-- newline -->
<xsl:variable name="head">
<xsl:for-each select="/root/header/*">
<xsl:value-of select="concat(., $delim)"/>
</xsl:for-each>
</xsl:variable>

<xsl:template match="/">
<xsl:apply-templates select="root/record"/>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="record">
<!--note: if lrv_gps.xml is in a different directory, you will
need to use the relative path or URL-->
<!-- select="document('lrv_gps.xml')/root/record[date_time =
current()/date_time]"/> -->
<xsl:param name="lrv_gps_file"/>
<xsl:variable name="gps"
select="document($lrv_gps_file)/root/record[date_time =
current()/date_time]"/>
<xsl:value-of select="$head"/>
<xsl:value-of select="concat($gps/longitude, $delim,
$gps/latitude, $delim)"/>
<xsl:for-each select="*">
<xsl:value-of select="concat(., $delim)"/>
</xsl:for-each>
<xsl:value-of select="$nl"/>
</xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

<!-- java com.icl.saxon.StyleSheet -o
C:\bin\merged_lrv_gps_and_trans_tab_delim.xml C:\bin\lrv_trans.xml
C:\bin\merge_lrv_gps_and_trans_to_tab_delim.xsl
{lrv_gps_file=lrv_gps.xml}
-->

Ed Beroset

Luke said:
Saxon documenation to find a way to feed a file name param to
eliminate the hard-coded file name in the xsl. This version executes
but does not appear to do the merge processing and drops the longitude
and latitude values.

You're very close. The only problem is that the param is not declared
merge_lrv_gps_and_trans_to_tab_delim.xsl
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
<xsl:eek:utput method="text"/>
<xsl:variable name="delim" select="' '"/> <!-- tab -->

The parameter is being passed to the stylesheet and not to the record
template as you had written it.

Ed