pass logged on user details into url

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by kieran, Aug 18, 2004.

  1. kieran

    kieran Guest

    Hi,

    I am working with users on an intranet. I now want to open a URL so
    that instead of the user entering their NT login and password, it
    automatically enters that user's details based on that user logged in.
    the url is in the form -
    http://username:

    Can any one point me to a script/tutorial that gets these user details
    based on the user logged in.

    I have tried the following in my app, but can not seem to get it to
    work.
    <identity impersonate="true"/>
    <authentication mode="Windows" />

    I have also tried the 'System.Net.CredentialCache.DefaultCredentials',
    but no luck. How do I pass in the password.

    Thanks for all help.

    kieran, Aug 18, 2004

  2. kieran

    Raterus Guest

    I think you should be using integrated windows authentication, the authentication you suggest is basic, and IE doesn't work with passing the username/password in the url anymore (guess they saw it as pretty insecure, and it is). To add to this, there is no way to get the password of the logged on user from a browser (could you imagine what that would cause?..even on an intranet!). Even if you could pass the credentials in the url, they would still have to enter that info it at some point. Integrated windows authentication fixes all of this, works only with IE, but it does work, and you can pass that information all day and the user doesn't have to enter anything.

    --Michael

    Raterus, Aug 18, 2004