Pass Parameters to <!-- #Include File="file.asp" -->

vunet.us

What is the workaround of passign a parameter to any included asp
file:

<!-- #Include File="file.asp" -->

This obviously does not work:

<!-- #Include File="file.asp?id=123" -->

Thank you

vunet.us

no, you don't need to pass anything through.

The external file is processes information as though it is part of the originating file.

Therefore any values in the originating file (id=123) can be used by the external file.

Do you say I cannot use params at all?

Anthony Jones

What is the workaround of passign a parameter to any included asp
file:

<!-- #Include File="file.asp" -->

This obviously does not work:

<!-- #Include File="file.asp?id=123" -->

Thank you

Is the file being included expecting to be able to read parameters from the
querystring?
Can it be independantly visited by the client or is it always intended to be
an include?

vunet.us

Is the file being included expecting to be able to read parameters from the
querystring?
Can it be independantly visited by the client or is it always intended to be
an include?

i've decided using this strategy:
dim id : id=123
<!-- #Include File="file.asp" -->
id=321
<!-- #Include File="file.asp" -->

where file.asp will assign id value to appropriate object.
yes, i do need to use some kind of include method

Dave Anderson

i've decided using this strategy:
dim id : id=123
<!-- #Include File="file.asp" -->
id=321
<!-- #Include File="file.asp" -->

where file.asp will assign id value to appropriate object.
yes, i do need to use some kind of include method

This is an especially inefficient way to use include files. You would be
better served by putting the applicable parts of the include into a Sub or
Function, then call them with the respective IDs:

[------- Begin file.asp ----------]
Sub DoStuff(id)
{ your included code goes here }
End Sub
[-------- End file.asp -----------]

As long as everything in the include is in functions or subroutines, you can
place it anywhere in your document and make the calls where you need them.

vunet.us

--
Dave Anderson

so if I have 4 pages I normally "include" now, you suggest to combine
them into one page each within a sub? that will be a loooong code
page. what is "inefficient" about my method above? i understand that
may not be the best way, but i want to know how it make things worse.

Dave Anderson

so if I have 4 pages I normally "include" now, you suggest to
combine them into one page each within a sub?

Not at all. I am saying there is almost never a benefit to including the
same file twice in the same script. To extend my example to your original
one, instead of this...

dim id : id=123
<!-- #Include File="file.asp" -->
id=321
<!-- #Include File="file.asp" -->

....use this:

<!-- #Include File="file.asp" --> (with Sub defined)
DoStuff 123
DoStuff 321

what is "inefficient" about my method above? i understand that
may not be the best way, but i want to know how it make things
worse.

The parser will fetch a copy of the included file for each #include
statement and splice it into the script before parsing a sigle line of
VBScript. Your approach could add a tremendous amount of redundancy.

As for your concerns about the length of code, my suggestion actually
shortens it.