    <!-- #Include File="file.asp?id=123" -->

    Thank you

    , Apr 3, 2007

    On Apr 3, 12:45 pm, "Jon Paal [MSMD]" <Jon nospam Paal @ everywhere
    dot com> wrote:
    > Server.Execute Method
    >
    > The Execute method calls an .asp file, and processes it as if it were part of the calling ASP script. The Execute method is similar
    > to a procedure call in many programming languages.

    > <> wrote in messagenews:...
    > > What is the workaround of passign a parameter to any included asp
    > > file:

    > > <!-- #Include File="file.asp" -->

    > > This obviously does not work:

    > > <!-- #Include File="file.asp?id=123" -->

    > > Thank you

    so will this work?: Server.Execute myfile.asp?id=123

    , Apr 3, 2007

    On Apr 3, 1:22 pm, "Jon Paal [MSMD]" <Jon nospam Paal @ everywhere dot
    com> wrote:
    > no, you don't need to pass anything through.
    >
    > The external file is processes information as though it is part of the originating file.
    >
    > Therefore any values in the originating file (id=123) can be used by the external file.

    Do you say I cannot use params at all?

    , Apr 3, 2007
  4. <> wrote in message
    > What is the workaround of passign a parameter to any included asp
    > file:
    >
    > <!-- #Include File="file.asp" -->
    >
    > This obviously does not work:
    >
    > <!-- #Include File="file.asp?id=123" -->
    >
    > Thank you

    Is the file being included expecting to be able to read parameters from the
    querystring?
    Can it be independantly visited by the client or is it always intended to be
    an include?

    Anthony Jones, Apr 3, 2007

    On Apr 3, 4:15 pm, "Anthony Jones" <> wrote:
    > <> wrote in message

    > > What is the workaround of passign a parameter to any included asp
    > > file:

    > > <!-- #Include File="file.asp" -->

    > > This obviously does not work:

    > > <!-- #Include File="file.asp?id=123" -->

    > > Thank you

    > Is the file being included expecting to be able to read parameters from the
    > querystring?
    > Can it be independantly visited by the client or is it always intended to be
    > an include?

    i've decided using this strategy:
    dim id : id=123
    <!-- #Include File="file.asp" -->
    id=321
    <!-- #Include File="file.asp" -->

    where file.asp will assign id value to appropriate object.
    yes, i do need to use some kind of include method

    , Apr 3, 2007
  6. wrote:
    > i've decided using this strategy:
    > dim id : id=123
    > <!-- #Include File="file.asp" -->
    > id=321
    > <!-- #Include File="file.asp" -->
    >
    > where file.asp will assign id value to appropriate object.
    > yes, i do need to use some kind of include method

    This is an especially inefficient way to use include files. You would be
    better served by putting the applicable parts of the include into a Sub or
    Function, then call them with the respective IDs:

    [------- Begin file.asp ----------]
    Sub DoStuff(id)
    { your included code goes here }
    End Sub
    [-------- End file.asp -----------]

    As long as everything in the include is in functions or subroutines, you can
    place it anywhere in your document and make the calls where you need them.

    --
    Dave Anderson

    Dave Anderson, Apr 3, 2007

    On Apr 3, 6:06 pm, "Dave Anderson" <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > i've decided using this strategy:
    > > dim id : id=123
    > > <!-- #Include File="file.asp" -->
    > > id=321
    > > <!-- #Include File="file.asp" -->

    > > where file.asp will assign id value to appropriate object.
    > > yes, i do need to use some kind of include method

    > This is an especially inefficient way to use include files. You would be
    > better served by putting the applicable parts of the include into a Sub or
    > Function, then call them with the respective IDs:
    >
    > [------- Begin file.asp ----------]
    > Sub DoStuff(id)
    > { your included code goes here }
    > End Sub
    > [-------- End file.asp -----------]
    >
    > As long as everything in the include is in functions or subroutines, you can
    > place it anywhere in your document and make the calls where you need them.
    >
    > --
    > Dave Anderson
    >
    > Unsolicited commercial email will be read at a cost of $500 per message. Use
    > of this email address implies consent to these terms.

    so if I have 4 pages I normally "include" now, you suggest to combine
    them into one page each within a sub? that will be a loooong code
    page. what is "inefficient" about my method above? i understand that
    may not be the best way, but i want to know how it make things worse.

    , Apr 4, 2007
  8. wrote:
    > so if I have 4 pages I normally "include" now, you suggest to
    > combine them into one page each within a sub?

    Not at all. I am saying there is almost never a benefit to including the
    same file twice in the same script. To extend my example to your original
    one, instead of this...

    dim id : id=123
    <!-- #Include File="file.asp" -->
    id=321
    <!-- #Include File="file.asp" -->

    ....use this:

    <!-- #Include File="file.asp" --> (with Sub defined)
    DoStuff 123
    DoStuff 321

    > what is "inefficient" about my method above? i understand that
    > may not be the best way, but i want to know how it make things
    > worse.

    The parser will fetch a copy of the included file for each #include
    statement and splice it into the script before parsing a sigle line of
    VBScript. Your approach could add a tremendous amount of redundancy.

    As for your concerns about the length of code, my suggestion actually
    shortens it.

    --
    Dave Anderson

    Dave Anderson, Apr 4, 2007