Pass variable to parent window and update the form filed

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by umashd@yahoo.com, Jun 17, 2005.

    I am doing a web based project for my graduation. I studied bit of java
    for backend processesing and javascript for the client. Here is the
    scenario.

    In the FORM, I use INPUT TYPE=text VALUE=" " NAME=cat, and a gif next
    to it. User will click on the icon to get a new window. In the new
    window, the user selects a value from the pull down menu (created by
    servlet from back end) and clicks OK. The value is passed back to the
    opener window to variable cat. Upto this point my code works. I can see
    that the variable cat changes.

    Question
    How can I display the values of these variables into the fields of form
    which is already loaded? May be a simple one, but me being a beginner,
    I am stuck for more than 24 hours. Please help. My project dead line is
    just three days away.

    Thanks in advance.

    Here is the test code (knowledge gained from internet) I have written
    for this task.

    === Code in OPENERWINDOW.HTML ===============
    <HTML>
    <HEAD>
    <TITLE>Open New Window</TITLE>

    <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
    function showvar () {
    document.write("<BR><BR>");
    document.write("Value of variable parentvar is " + parentvar +".");
    document.write("<BR><BR>");
    }
    </SCRIPT>

    </HEAD>
    <BODY>

    <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
    var parentvar = "Parent";
    document.write("Value of variable parentvar is " + parentvar +".");
    document.write("<BR><BR>");
    </SCRIPT>

    <FORM ACTION="temp.html" METHOD="POST">
    id="Parent_var" NAME="parentvar" VALUE="Parent">
    <INPUT TYPE="Button" VALUE="Get value from New Window" NAME="popup"
    onClick="window.open('popup.html') ">
    <INPUT TYPE="Button" VALUE="Next" NAME="returned" onClick="showvar
    (parentvar) ">
    </FORM>

    </BODY>
    </HTML>

    ==== Code from POPUP.HTML =============

    <HTML>
    <HEAD>
    <TITLE>Pop Up Window</TITLE>

    <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">

    function sendVar (parentvar) {
    document.write (" <BR><BR> Current Value of parentvar is " + parentvar
    + ".");
    opener.parentvar = parentvar;
    self.close()
    }

    </SCRIPT>

    </HEAD>

    <BODY>

    <form method="POST" action="submitted.html" name="Newform">

    color="#FF0000">parentvar</font></td>
    tabindex="1"></td>
    <INPUT TYPE="Button" VALUE="Send to Parent Window" NAME="Click"
    onClick="sendVar (parentvar.value)">
    <! <INPUT TYPE="Button" VALUE="Close Window" NAME="closwin"
    onClick="self.close()"> ->
    </FORM>

    </BODY>
    </HTML>
    , Jun 17, 2005

  2. Jc Guest

    Jc, Jun 17, 2005

    Hi JC

    That was really help on time. I should have applied my mind more on
    reading rather than codeing. I added
    document.forms.newWindow.parentvar.value=parentvar. That worked. Thanks
    a lot.
    , Jun 17, 2005