    hyperLinkField pass the deptID value in the url token?
    Thanks,
    Jay

    Jay, Oct 10, 2006

  2. "Jay" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I am trying to get pageA.aspx gridView to pass a key (say deptID) to
    > pageB.aspx which will use the value passed as a filter in it's own griView
    > query.
    > On pageA gridView I have a hyperlinkField with navigateURL property =
    > ~/pageB.aspx?deptID={0} and it is bound to deptID (which is another column
    > in
    > the grid). Also, the hyperlinkField it has its dataTextFormatString =
    > ~/pageB.aspx?deptID={0}. PageB datasource has a where clause, where
    > deptID =
    > {0}.
    > At runtime, the hyperlink appears to populate correctly with values such
    > as
    > pageB.aspx?deptID=100, etc., byt when I click on it, pageB appears with
    > the
    > token still set to deptID={0}.
    > I am new to webforms, can someone please help? Why doen't the
    > hyperLinkField pass the deptID value in the url token?

    Apparently, you have two different "run" times here. One where the hyperlink
    is properly filled in, and one where it goes to the wrong place.

    Perhaps you're looking on the server at the hyperlink control when you see
    the correct value? Well, the client has an HTML anchor (<a>) element
    instead. You should try to find the <a> on the cliekt-side page using View
    Source or the IE Developer Toolbar, and see what the href attribute is set
    to. I bet it's set to deptID={0}.

    Then, all you'll have to do is figure out why that is. In particular, I'd be
    interested to know which property you're looking at on the server where you
    saw deptID=100.

    John

    John Saunders, Oct 10, 2006

  3. Jay

    Jay Guest

    John, you were corect, when I looked in the html source, it had deptID={0}
    for each row in the gridView. But I had set the hyperLink's dataTextfield =
    deptID which is another column in the gridView. Shouldn't this bring in the
    department IDs?
    --
    Jay

    Jay, Oct 10, 2006
  4. "Jay" <> wrote in message
    > John, you were corect, when I looked in the html source, it had deptID={0}
    > for each row in the gridView. But I had set the hyperLink's dataTextfield
    > =
    > deptID which is another column in the gridView. Shouldn't this bring in
    > the
    > department IDs?

    I don't know how this works with gridView controls, but that won't work with
    a DataGrid. How is your data binding set up? Is deptID in the data source?

    John

    John Saunders, Oct 11, 2006
  5. Jay

    Jay Guest

    For data binding setup, I have deptID in the dataSource for the grid. I
    click on the dataTextField property for the grid hyperlink, then select
    deptID. I even tried a deptID2 to be sure, but the {0} never gets the data.
    How is it that the {0} is supposed to get the values from the dataSource?
    Also, if there is another way to do this (thru the desiger), I would be
    happy to change to your suggestion.
    Thanks
    --
    Jay