Passing a variable value from Javascript to asp.net server variable

shil

Hi all,

I am using javascript confirm() function to get user's confirmation
from codebehind after a condition is met. I don't want to attach the
function to the button on page load. When I submit the page, I want to
check some business rules, and based on the response from the database,
if the response is Yes, I need to display a confirmation alert to user.
When the user clicks ok,
then I should take an action, if not, exit out of the subroutine.

Below is the script I'm using in the Submit_Click() subroutine.
If Trim(Message) <> "" Then
Dim strScript As String = "<script language=JavaScript>"
strScript += "var bAnswer = confirm(""" & Trim(Message) & """);"
strScript += "</script>"

If (Not Page.IsStartupScriptRegistered("clientScript")) Then
Page.RegisterStartupScript("clientScript", strScript)
End If
End If

In the above code, I'm getting a message from the Sql database into
Message variable, and showing that to the user. But I don't have a way
to get the value of what an user have selected from the confirmation
alert box. I don't want to resubmit the form since I would loose some
of the business rules.

If I could pass the javascript variable "bAnswer" value to a server
variable, that would be great.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.

bruce barker

there is no way to pass the data back other than some sort of postback.
usually you put the answer into a hidden field and do a submit.

your confirm only display when the page is rerendered by the browser, so
you will need to keep the logic for the next pass in state.

render something like:

Page.RegisterStartupScript("myscript",string.Format(@"
<input type=hidden name=txtConfirm id=txtConfirm >
<script>
document.getElementById('txtConfirm').value = confirm('%0');
document.forms[0].submit();
</script>
",Message));

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)