Passing Bound Object value to another Bound Object

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Phillip Vong, Jul 27, 2006.

  1. Phillip Vong

    Phillip Vong Guest

    Doing this in VS2005. ASPX in VB code.

    This image details my problem. http://ebay.philvong.com/help.jpg

    I have a simple FormView1 bound to a SQLDataSource1. In edit mode, Label1 is
    bound to a value.

    Under this, I added another textbox (ID=TEXTBOX1) and another
    SQLDataSource2. Then I added a details view (ID=DetailView1). Textbox1 is
    just passing a parameter to SQLDataSource2 to return a value in Detailview1.

    1). I will hide the Update from FormView1 unless the person passes the right
    parameter to DetailsView1 to return a result. What is the Event Handler to
    say when DetailsView1 return any result? (i.e. ItemCreated, ItemChanged,
    ItemCommand, Load...etc). There are so many I'm not sure which one is right.
    I just want the Event Handler for giving a result to DetailsView from
    passing on the right parameter. Then I can make Update in FromView1 visible,
    which I know how to do.

    2) MORE IMPORTANTLY. If someone enters the right parameter and DetailsView1
    returns a result, is it possible for me to pass the result from DetailsView1
    "abc" to Label1 of FormView1? This way when the user enters the right
    parameter to return their name in DetailView1 and the Update button appears
    because of question 1 above, the update will then pass on that user's name
    to the DB when Update is clicked.

    I really hope this makes sense and I hope the picture helps explain my
    problem.

    Thanks in advance.

    Phillip Vong, Jul 27, 2006