Passing Credential to SOAP via a .NET remoted object

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Steve Drake, Feb 13, 2004.

  1. Steve Drake

    Steve Drake Guest

    All,

    I have a WEBPAGE that needs to pass the current credentials to a .NET
    remoted object so this can pass the credentials to a SOAP WEBSERVICE (All
    written in C#)

    But I cannot see how I pass credentials to the remoted object, any ideas?

    If there was no remote layer then I could just do :

    WebServiceObject.Credentials =
    System.Net.CredentialCache.DefaultCredentials;

    But System.Net.CredentialCache.DefaultCredentials is not Serializable so
    this does not work with the remeoting layer.

    Steve

    Steve Drake, Feb 13, 2004

  2. Steve Drake

    bruce barker Guest

    this can be done if the caller, remoting object and the webservice are all
    on the same server. you can pass the handle to the credentials and perform
    the impersonation before calling the soap method.

    if more than 1 server is used, you will run into the 1 hop rule. you will
    have to switch to digest authencation, turn on creditenals delegation. There
    is little digest support in .net, so you will have to use the native api
    (see kerberos documentation).

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Feb 13, 2004