passing custom variables TO a user control

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by darrel, Mar 2, 2004.

  1. darrel

    darrel Guest

    I'm doing some .NET work using usercontrols.

    I have a usercontrol that I'd like to be able to place on a page and set
    some variables to it. Ie, change the number of columns shown, or the type of
    data pulled.

    I'm reading a bit about doing this here:

    http://radio.weblogs.com/0101986/stories/2002/04/16/aspnetCustomPropertiesForUsercontrols.html

    And I'm not really sure why this is better than the old way of just checking
    for some Querystrings and acting upon that. It seems a LOT more verbose.

    Are there any other examples that maybe show off the benefit of passing
    variables to a custom user control from it's parent page rather than through
    a query string?

    -Darrel
    darrel, Mar 2, 2004