    For example; How is data about the logged in user passed to subsequent pages

    Thank you,
    Doug

    dbuchanan, Jun 25, 2008

  2. Hello Doug,

    To pass values between pages, we can use a Session object, or a
    Querystring, or a page's public property, or some "post" information, etc.
    These method are documented and demonstrated in the MSDN article "How to:
    Pass Values Between ASP.NET Web Pages"
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/6c3yckfw.aspx and an article
    "Passing Values between ASP.NET Web Forms"
    http://www.dotnetbips.com/articles/c585b4d3-93c5-4c66-9d49-8e1946f4d311.aspx
    . The articles have easy-to-follow examples for your references. For your
    specific need of passing logged-in user name, I suggest that you start with
    the "Session" variables. From my point of view, "Session" is the easiest
    way to maintain the log-in information.

    Please let me know if you have any other concerns, or need anything else.

    Regards,
    Jialiang Ge (, remove 'online.')
    Microsoft Online Community Support

    .

    ications.

    Jialiang Ge [MSFT], Jun 25, 2008

  3. dbuchanan

    dbuchanan Guest

    Jialiang,

    Thank you for yor very informative reply.

    Doug

    dbuchanan, Jun 25, 2008
  4. I've detailed all the major techniques for passing data between pages here:
    http://SteveOrr.net/articles/PassData.aspx

    --
    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr,

    Steve C. Orr [MCSD, MVP, CSM, ASP Insider], Jun 25, 2008