    webform on the client side?

    i hope ive explained this properly

    Mike Fellows

    Mike Fellows, Jun 29, 2004

  2. Mike,

    This is one of the most common tasks in ASP.NET development. The solution is
    to use hidden elements. If you need a single id value, you can use any html
    element capable of holding values. If you need to pass the value back, you
    need to use a <input type="hidden" ...>. If you need an id column in a grid,
    you need to ad a column to your datagrid and make it invisible with a
    stylesheet rule.

    Note, if you use a server control and set property Visible to false, the
    control won't be rendered to the client and you won't get anything.

    Eliyahu

    "Mike Fellows" <> wrote in message
    > Ok, im not sure if this is at all possible and if it is how i go about it

    is
    > beyond me
    >
    > i have a piece of client side code that requires a piece of data from the
    > server side (an ID number in this case)
    >
    > how can i pass the data from one side to the other, or retrieve it from

    the

    Eliyahu Goldin, Jun 29, 2004

  3. Mike Fellows

    Mike Fellows Guest

    Eliyahu,

    ok i sort of understand (though not fully)

    if i have a label on my webform called MyLabel

    and i have a clientside HTML button that runs my client side code

    i want my HTML button to get the value of MyLabel so that i can use it
    clientside

    Mike Fellows, Jun 29, 2004
  4. Mike Fellows

    Mike Fellows Guest

    Eliyahu,

    I hate to be a pain, but im probably more confused than ever

    could you point me in the direction of an example at all?
    (ive tried searching for them but i cant find any)

    Thanks

    Mike

    > That's fine. Give you label an id and refer to it from javascript. If it

    is
    > an asp:Label, it will translate to <span> and you can get the label text

    via

    Mike Fellows, Jun 29, 2004
  5. That's fine. Give you label an id and refer to it from javascript. If it is

    Eliyahu Goldin, Jun 29, 2004
  6. Mike Fellows

    Mike Fellows Guest

    Eliyahu,

    ok all worked fine on the server side, but i get an error on page on load

    im including my code so you can see what im doing, i think the problem lies
    within the javascript script

    thanks

    Mike

    <HTML>
    <HEAD>
    <title>WebForm1</title>
    name="vs_targetSchema">

    <SCRIPT language="javascript">
    var id=hiddenId.innerText
    </SCRIPT>

    <SCRIPT language="VBScript">
    Dim objWord
    Dim exists
    Sub OpenDoc()
    Set objWord = CreateObject("Word.Application")
    objWord.Documents.Open("\\Gringotts\common
    documents\AutoPackProduction\Remortgage\Factfind.doc")
    objWord.Visible = true
    objWord.activedocument.saveas("c:\"& id &".doc")
    set objWord=nothing
    End Sub
    </SCRIPT>

    </HEAD>
    </form>
    <input style="Z-INDEX: 101; LEFT: 165px; WIDTH: 157px; POSITION: absolute;
    TOP: 82px; HEIGHT: 48px"
    onclick="opendoc()" type="button" value="opendoc">&nbsp;
    <asp:label id="hiddenId" style="Z-INDEX: 102; LEFT: 50px; POSITION:
    absolute; TOP: 28px" runat="server"
    CssClass="Hidden"></asp:label>
    </HTML>

    Mike Fellows, Jun 29, 2004
  7. Mike,

    Eliyahu Goldin, Jun 29, 2004
  8. Mike Fellows

    Mike Fellows Guest

    you are a superstar

    thanks Eliyahu

    Mike

> [...]

    > > TOP: 82px; HEIGHT: 48px"
    > > onclick="opendoc()" type="button" value="opendoc">&nbsp;
    > > <asp:label id="hiddenId" style="Z-INDEX: 102; LEFT: 50px; POSITION:
    > > absolute; TOP: 28px" runat="server"
    > > CssClass="Hidden"></asp:label>
    > > </HTML>
    > >

    > > "Eliyahu Goldin" <> wrote in message
    > > > Mike,
    > > >
    > > > Let's say you want to pass hidden id value from server to client.
    > > >
    > > > 1. Add a hidden label control to the aspx page:
    > > > <asp:Label id="hiddenId" runat="server" CssClass="Hidden"></asp:Label>
    > > > Add a stylesheet rule for Hidden to the page: .Hidden{display:none}
    > > >
    > > > 2. In the code-behind on server-side assign values to the id:
    > > > hiddenId.Text = "12345";
    > > >
    > > > 3. In javascripts on client-side get the value:
    > > > var id=hiddenId.innerText;
    > > >
    > > > If it is not clear, please tell me what step causes a problem.

    message

    Mike Fellows, Jun 29, 2004
  9. Mike,

> [...]

    > "Eliyahu Goldin" <> wrote in message
    > > Mike,
    > >
    > > Let's say you want to pass hidden id value from server to client.
    > >
    > > 1. Add a hidden label control to the aspx page:
    > > <asp:Label id="hiddenId" runat="server" CssClass="Hidden"></asp:Label>
    > > Add a stylesheet rule for Hidden to the page: .Hidden{display:none}
    > >
    > > 2. In the code-behind on server-side assign values to the id:
    > > hiddenId.Text = "12345";
    > >
    > > 3. In javascripts on client-side get the value:
    > > var id=hiddenId.innerText;
    > >
    > > If it is not clear, please tell me what step causes a problem.
    > >
    > > Eliyahu
    > >
    > > "Mike Fellows" <> wrote in message
    > > > Eliyahu,
    > > >
    > > > I hate to be a pain, but im probably more confused than ever
    > > >
    > > > could you point me in the direction of an example at all?
    > > > (ive tried searching for them but i cant find any)

    message

    Eliyahu Goldin, Jun 29, 2004