Passing form values from one page to other. Please, help me out. Thank You.

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Miguel Dias Moura, May 24, 2004.

  1. Hello,

    i created an ASP.net / VB page with a really big form.

    Now i want to create 4 pages and in each one i will place 1/4 of the big
    form.

    The last page will send all the form values by email.

    How can i send the form values from one page to the next one?

    I looked everywhere and i wasn't able to make this work. I found a good
    ASP.net / C code example in
    http://www.dotnetbips.com/displayarticle.aspx?id=79. However, i am having
    problems in translating it to VB.
    Yes, i did used the most 2 common translaters but i am still having
    problems.

    Is there someone that can help me doing this? 2 sample ASP.net / VB pages
    would be great.

    Anyway, any help would be apreciated.

    Thank You Very Much,
    Miguel

    Miguel Dias Moura, May 24, 2004

  2. Miguel Dias Moura

    Lerp Guest

    Hi Miguel,

    Instead of using 4 different pages why don't you use one page and seperate
    the form into 4 sections using panels on that one page...that way you
    wouldn't have to pass the form values around. You can use the Visible
    property of the panels to toggle the different sections to show/hide.

    An idea anyways :)

    Cheers, Lerp :)

    Lerp, May 24, 2004

  3. One way would be to keep your single page, and put each of the 4 sections
    into its own panel. Then show & hide each panel one at a time in order,
    simulating 4 separate pages. This way all your data is actually kept on a
    single page from the server's perspective, making it unnecessary to come up
    with a complex scheme to pass the data all over the place.

    --
    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP

    Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD], May 24, 2004
  4. Never did something like that.
    Can anyone indicate me where can i find some information about it?

    Thank You,
    Miguel

    Miguel Dias Moura, May 24, 2004
  5. Miguel Dias Moura

    Lerp Guest

    Hi there,

    Here's an example started for you.
    Basically you create your form all on one page like normal, the insert
    panels every quarter of the way (in your case), each with its own unique ID
    (name) and then create a sub routine to handle the visible property of the
    panel in question. Then you create some buttons to 'spark' the event...your
    sub handles the visbility of the panels.

    'Sub to handle panel in question's visibility based on checking the Button's
    (ie: the Sender in this case) Text Property - which you set when you make
    your button (as seen below)(maybe use a Select case here instead of mi
    IF/END IF statement since you
    are testing the same variable over)

    Sub ChangePanelVisibility(Sender As Object, E As EventArgs)

    If Sender.Text = "Show Panel One" Then
    myFirstPanel.visible = true ' SET TO TRUE HERE
    mySecondPanel.visible = false
    myThirdPanel.visible = false
    myFourthPanel.visible = false
    End If

    End Sub

    <form ID="myForm" runat="server">

    <asp:panel ID="myFirstPanel" CssClass="myCssClass" runat="server">
    First section of form
    </asp:panel>

    <asp:panel ID="mySecondPanel" CssClass="myCssClass" runat="server">
    Second section of form
    </asp:panel>

    <asp:panel ID="myThirdPanel" CssClass="myCssClass" runat="server">
    Third section of form
    </asp:panel>

    <asp:panel ID="myFourthPanel" CssClass="myCssClass" runat="server">
    Fourth section of form
    </asp:panel>

    <asp:Button id="ShowPanelOneButton" text="Show Panel One"
    OnClick="ChangePanelVisibility" runat="server" CssClass="but" />
    <asp:Button id="ShowPaneltwoButton" text="Show Panel Two"
    OnClick="ChangePanelVisibility" runat="server" CssClass="but" />
    etc...one button for each panel if you wish here...
    </form>

    Hope this helps, Lerp :)

    Lerp, May 25, 2004