Passing ID's in SQL

Andrew Banks

I'm using guid to generate primary keys for my SQL server DB

I'm now trying to query the DB but keep getting errors. It seems to be
erroring when passing the ID and it's always around a hyphen in the sring
I'm passing

Eg.

WHERE ID = '24646a31-c088-41da-b93c-32174588da48' errors near a31
WHERE ID = 'f7a9b89a-cbf6-4f40-aafe-7a861214ddcc' errors near f40
WHERE ID = '30328414-3e2a-4244-9163-e0384afe8b5a' errors near a

Can anyone help on this?

Are you supposed to escape the - in some way?

Thanks

William \(Bill\) Vaughn

Let's see how you're setting up the SQL in code. I suspect you're not using
a Command object and parameters.

--
____________________________________
William (Bill) Vaughn

Andrew Banks

Bill,

Your comments made me re-check what I'd done. I had built the sql ok but
missed out the ' and ' either side of the ID I was passing.

I guess we all do it - look at our code that long we miss even the most
obvious of mistakes.

William \(Bill\) Vaughn

I have my wife (generally computer agnostic) try all my samples. She usually
breaks them in ways no one could imagine. Isn't that what "extreme"
programming is all about? Another set of eyes always helps.
Glad you got it working.

--
William (Bill) Vaughn