Passing multiple arguments to the client-side JavaScript function in AJAX

Nathan Sokalski

I am a beginner with AJAX, and have managed to learn how to use it when
passing single parameters, but I want to return more than one value to the
client-side JavaScript function that displays it. My client-side JavaScript
function takes 4 parameters (which are expected to be integers). The idea of
passing a single parameter and parsing it on the client has occurred to me,
but since I am sure I am not the only person who has situations that require
more than one parameter, I was hoping there would be an easier way. Any
ideas? Thanks.

Laurent Bugnion

Hi,

Nathan said:
I am a beginner with AJAX, and have managed to learn how to use it when
passing single parameters, but I want to return more than one value to the
client-side JavaScript function that displays it. My client-side JavaScript
function takes 4 parameters (which are expected to be integers). The idea of
passing a single parameter and parsing it on the client has occurred to me,
but since I am sure I am not the only person who has situations that require
more than one parameter, I was hoping there would be an easier way. Any
ideas? Thanks.

AJAX doesn't mean much. Do you use SOAP, or a simple ASHX custom
handler, or something else?

With SOAP, you can pass an object back to the JavaScript client. Note
that unless you use a library doing that for you (for example ASP.NET
AJAX formerly known as ATLAS), you must parse the result yourself.

If you use a custom handler, you can return XML in the response, and
then parse the received XML. Nothing prevents you then to define your
own XML format to pass any number of parameters to the script.

HTH,
Laurent

Nathan Sokalski

Sorry, I probably should have included more details. I am writing a custom
control for ASP.NET using VB.NET and want to include AJAX. I am using the
following for the AJAX:

I am using the ICallbackEventHandler interface by including the following
line:
Implements ICallbackEventHandler

This interface includes implementing the following method and function:
Public Sub RaiseCallbackEvent(ByVal eventArgument As String) Implements
ICallbackEventHandler.RaiseCallbackEvent
Public Function GetCallbackResult() As String Implements
ICallbackEventHandler.GetCallbackResult

Because ATLAS is still in Beta (at least the last time I checked), I did not
want to start using it yet. If I understand you correct, there is no simple
way to pass multiple parameters using only VB.NET and JavaScript? Thank you
for the information.