    --
    Nathan Sokalski

    http://www.nathansokalski.com/

    Nathan Sokalski, Nov 20, 2006

  2. Re: Passing multiple arguments to the client-side JavaScript functionin AJAX

    Hi,

    Nathan Sokalski wrote:
    > I am a beginner with AJAX, and have managed to learn how to use it when
    > passing single parameters, but I want to return more than one value to the
    > client-side JavaScript function that displays it. My client-side JavaScript
    > function takes 4 parameters (which are expected to be integers). The idea of
    > passing a single parameter and parsing it on the client has occurred to me,
    > but since I am sure I am not the only person who has situations that require
    > more than one parameter, I was hoping there would be an easier way. Any
    > ideas? Thanks.

    AJAX doesn't mean much. Do you use SOAP, or a simple ASHX custom
    handler, or something else?

    With SOAP, you can pass an object back to the JavaScript client. Note
    that unless you use a library doing that for you (for example ASP.NET
    AJAX formerly known as ATLAS), you must parse the result yourself.

    If you use a custom handler, you can return XML in the response, and
    then parse the received XML. Nothing prevents you then to define your
    own XML format to pass any number of parameters to the script.

    HTH,
    Laurent
    --
    Laurent Bugnion, GalaSoft

    Laurent Bugnion, Nov 20, 2006

  3. Sorry, I probably should have included more details. I am writing a custom
    control for ASP.NET using VB.NET and want to include AJAX. I am using the
    following for the AJAX:

    I am using the ICallbackEventHandler interface by including the following
    line:
    Implements ICallbackEventHandler

    This interface includes implementing the following method and function:
    Public Sub RaiseCallbackEvent(ByVal eventArgument As String) Implements
    ICallbackEventHandler.RaiseCallbackEvent
    Public Function GetCallbackResult() As String Implements
    ICallbackEventHandler.GetCallbackResult

    Because ATLAS is still in Beta (at least the last time I checked), I did not
    want to start using it yet. If I understand you correct, there is no simple
    way to pass multiple parameters using only VB.NET and JavaScript? Thank you
    for the information.

    Nathan Sokalski, Nov 20, 2006
  4. Hi,

    with Ajax.NET Professional (http://www.ajaxpro.info/) you can use multiple
    parameters to call .NET methods. As return value you can use any type, i.e.
    DataTable or arrays or your own structures/classes.

    --
    Best regards | Schöne Grüße
    Michael

    http://weblogs.asp.net/mschwarz/
    http://www.ajaxpro.info/

    Michael Schwarz, Nov 20, 2006
  5. I've done what you are describing in my WebChat control.
    The included source code and article should provice all you need:
    http://SteveOrr.net/articles/WebChat.aspx

    --
    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr,