Passing objects through CORBA

Raga

Hi,

What are the different possible ways that I can pass objects between
client & server in CORBA? Am using the Java language. Also, which way
is the recommended one?

Thanks.

impaler

Hi,

What are the different possible ways that I can pass objects between
client & server in CORBA? Am using the Java language. Also, which way
is the recommended one?

Thanks.

You need more than one language to justify the use of CORBA.
What exactly do you mean by "passing" an object? Remotely instantiate?
Or serialize it and send it through?
Take a look at sun's own orm or PICO or JACORB. Google for a few
others too.

Regards

Raga

You need more than one language to justify the use of CORBA.
What exactly do you mean by "passing" an object? Remotely instantiate?
Or serialize it and send it through?
Take a look at sun's own orm or PICO or JACORB. Google for a few
others too.

Regards

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. By 'passing' an object, I mean that the object
is stored on the server & that should be modified from the client
through CORBA.We use JACORB. What are the different ways to modify an
object (which is on the server) frm the client?

One possible way I can think of is to pass the object as argument of a
method & call that method from the client. Is this a good way? or is
there a better one?

Thanks.

Esmond Pitt

Raga said:
Thanks for your reply. By 'passing' an object, I mean that the object
is stored on the server & that should be modified from the client
through CORBA.We use JACORB. What are the different ways to modify an
object (which is on the server) frm the client?

So you don't mean 'passsing an object' at all, you mean calling its
methods remotely. There's only mechanism for that in CORBA, and it's
called CORBA. You need to define your object either via IDL or as an
RMI/IIOP remote object and pass a *remote reference* to it to the client
(either via COSNaming or another remote method), and have the client
execute methods on the remote reference, which will really be a stub.

So have a look at IDLJ and RMI/IIOP.

Raga

So you don't mean 'passsing an object' at all, you mean calling its
methods remotely. There's only mechanism for that in CORBA, and it's
called CORBA. You need to define your object either via IDL or as an
RMI/IIOP remote object and pass a *remote reference* to it to the client
(either via COSNaming or another remote method), and have the client
execute methods on the remote reference, which will really be a stub.

So have a look at IDLJ and RMI/IIOP.

OK . Sure. Thanks!