Passing objects through CORBA

Discussion in 'Java' started by Raga, Feb 19, 2007.

  1. Raga

    Raga Guest

    Hi,

    What are the different possible ways that I can pass objects between
    client & server in CORBA? Am using the Java language. Also, which way
    is the recommended one?


    Thanks.
     
    Raga, Feb 19, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Raga

    impaler Guest

    On Feb 19, 2:05 pm, "Raga" <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > What are the different possible ways that I can pass objects between
    > client & server in CORBA? Am using the Java language. Also, which way
    > is the recommended one?
    >
    > Thanks.



    You need more than one language to justify the use of CORBA.
    What exactly do you mean by "passing" an object? Remotely instantiate?
    Or serialize it and send it through?
    Take a look at sun's own orm or PICO or JACORB. Google for a few
    others too.

    Regards
     
    impaler, Feb 19, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Raga

    Raga Guest

    On Feb 19, 7:47 pm, "impaler" <> wrote:
    > On Feb 19, 2:05 pm, "Raga" <> wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,

    >
    > > What are the different possible ways that I can pass objects between
    > > client & server in CORBA? Am using the Java language. Also, which way
    > > is the recommended one?

    >
    > > Thanks.

    >
    > You need more than one language to justify the use of CORBA.
    > What exactly do you mean by "passing" an object? Remotely instantiate?
    > Or serialize it and send it through?
    > Take a look at sun's own orm or PICO or JACORB. Google for a few
    > others too.
    >
    > Regards



    Hi,

    Thanks for your reply. By 'passing' an object, I mean that the object
    is stored on the server & that should be modified from the client
    through CORBA.We use JACORB. What are the different ways to modify an
    object (which is on the server) frm the client?

    One possible way I can think of is to pass the object as argument of a
    method & call that method from the client. Is this a good way? or is
    there a better one?

    Thanks.
     
    Raga, Feb 20, 2007
    #3
  4. Raga

    Esmond Pitt Guest

    Raga wrote:
    > Thanks for your reply. By 'passing' an object, I mean that the object
    > is stored on the server & that should be modified from the client
    > through CORBA.We use JACORB. What are the different ways to modify an
    > object (which is on the server) frm the client?


    So you don't mean 'passsing an object' at all, you mean calling its
    methods remotely. There's only mechanism for that in CORBA, and it's
    called CORBA. You need to define your object either via IDL or as an
    RMI/IIOP remote object and pass a *remote reference* to it to the client
    (either via COSNaming or another remote method), and have the client
    execute methods on the remote reference, which will really be a stub.

    So have a look at IDLJ and RMI/IIOP.
     
    Esmond Pitt, Feb 20, 2007
    #4
  5. Raga

    Raga Guest

    On Feb 21, 4:41 am, Esmond Pitt <>
    wrote:
    > Raga wrote:
    > > Thanks for your reply. By 'passing' an object, I mean that the object
    > > is stored on the server & that should be modified from the client
    > > through CORBA.We use JACORB. What are the different ways to modify an
    > > object (which is on the server) frm the client?

    >
    > So you don't mean 'passsing an object' at all, you mean calling its
    > methods remotely. There's only mechanism for that in CORBA, and it's
    > called CORBA. You need to define your object either via IDL or as an
    > RMI/IIOP remote object and pass a *remote reference* to it to the client
    > (either via COSNaming or another remote method), and have the client
    > execute methods on the remote reference, which will really be a stub.
    >
    > So have a look at IDLJ and RMI/IIOP.


    OK . Sure. Thanks!
     
    Raga, Feb 21, 2007
    #5
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Raga
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    304
  2. szabi
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    556
    benben
    Feb 22, 2006
  3. szabi
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    385
    Gavin Deane
    Feb 22, 2006
  4. Tomek
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,027
    Jack Klein
    Jun 1, 2006
  5. ghoetker
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    378
Loading...

Share This Page