Passing objects to a perl script via POST

Jim Rendant

I am new at web page design and was wondering if I created an object in java
script or an array can I pass it back to a perl script for processing.

One example my be where a customer has the ability to select multiple items
from a single page. By using checkboxes the end user selects multiple item
and enters quantities for those item. By passing some sort of data structure
(array or object) back the script for processing.

I know I can build an object in JavaScript populating it with pertinent
information.

Let me know what you think?

Thanks
Jim Rendant

Malte Ubl

Jim said:
I am new at web page design and was wondering if I created an object in java
script or an array can I pass it back to a perl script for processing.

One example my be where a customer has the ability to select multiple items
from a single page. By using checkboxes the end user selects multiple item
and enters quantities for those item. By passing some sort of data structure
(array or object) back the script for processing.

There is no simple solution for this problem, I'm afraid. You would have
to serialize your JavaScript data structure and deserialize it with Perl.

I guess its time for an implementation of YAML in JavaScript :)
Drop the guys at yaml.org a note.

malte

J. Gleixner

Jim said:
I am new at web page design and was wondering if I created an object in java
script or an array can I pass it back to a perl script for processing.

One example my be where a customer has the ability to select multiple items
from a single page. By using checkboxes the end user selects multiple item
and enters quantities for those item. By passing some sort of data structure
(array or object) back the script for processing.

I know I can build an object in JavaScript populating it with pertinent
information.

Let me know what you think?

You can do what you want without any JavaScript.

If you're going to use perl to process the info, look at

perldoc CGI

Otherwise this is an HTML question and you'd be able to find more
information in an HTML related newsgroup or learning about processing
forms and CGI.