    I can supply more info if needed.

    TIA
    Colin
    Colin Basterfield, Jan 16, 2004

  2. Colin Basterfield

    Guogang Guest

    DataTable, DataReader can not pass through web service.

    You can use DataSet to pass data through web service.

    "Colin Basterfield" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I was trying to generate a c# proxy file which contained a web method that
    > returned SqlDataReader but the wsdl http://localhost/etc etc said it

    wasn't

    Guogang, Jan 16, 2004

  3. Hi,

    Many thanks, why is that do you know?

    Cheers
    Colin

    Colin Basterfield, Jan 16, 2004
  4. Colin Basterfield

    Jan Tielens Guest

    A DataReader needs a connection to the database. So it doesn't make any
    sense to pass it through a webservice, since a webservice is by default
    stateless. Once the webmethod invocation is finished no connection from the
    client to the server will be available.

    A DataSet suits this scenario very well, because it's disconnected. You fill
    it with data and then you can pass it around, there's no connection to the
    DB needed.

    --
    Greetz

    Jan Tielens