Passing SqlDataReader thro a web service...

Colin Basterfield

Hi,

I was trying to generate a c# proxy file which contained a web method that
returned SqlDataReader but the wsdl http://localhost/etc etc said it wasn't
able to do the necessary reflection, does anyone know anything about this?

I can supply more info if needed.

TIA
Colin

Guogang

DataTable, DataReader can not pass through web service.

You can use DataSet to pass data through web service.

Jan Tielens

A DataReader needs a connection to the database. So it doesn't make any
sense to pass it through a webservice, since a webservice is by default
stateless. Once the webmethod invocation is finished no connection from the
client to the server will be available.

A DataSet suits this scenario very well, because it's disconnected. You fill
it with data and then you can pass it around, there's no connection to the
DB needed.

--
Greetz

Jan Tielens