Passing strings between functions XMLHTTP.open

jerm

Hi,

I am using ajax to update a form. I call xmlHttp.open("GET", strURL,
false).

The problem is that strURL is a really long string and it seems that
javascript craps out on this long string giving me an unspecified
error. I decided to test my theory and created a generic function to
pass over my url string and sure enough javascript dies with the same
error. I figured one way around it was to split my string into an
array and then join it up again but xmlHttp.open is not a method or
object I wrote, so I cant easily manipulate it.

Any thoughts on a way around this?

Regards,
Jeremiah

Tom Cole

Hi,

I am using ajax to update a form.  I call xmlHttp.open("GET", strURL,
false).

The problem is that strURL is a really long string and it seems that
javascript craps out on this long string giving me an unspecified
error.  I decided to test my theory and created a generic function to
pass over my url string and sure enough javascript dies with the same
error.  I figured one way around it was to split my string into an
array and then join it up again but xmlHttp.open is not a method or
object I wrote, so I cant easily manipulate it.

Any thoughts on a way around this?

Regards,
Jeremiah

Have you tried using POST as your method? Not sure it would help but
you can also send the parameter string in the send method, rather than
appending to the url and sending one huge url:

xmlHttp.open("POST", "http://www.myserver.com/servlet/myServlet",
true);
xmlHttp.send("this=that&this2=that2");

Just some things to think about. I have not run into a scenario where
I was sending a url string longer than 255 characters, so I'm sorry I
can't be of more assistance.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

jerm said:
I am using ajax to update a form. I call xmlHttp.open("GET", strURL,
false).

The problem is that strURL is a really long string and it seems that
javascript craps out on this long string giving me an unspecified
error.

Chances are that your crappy user agent and its API are the problem, not
"javascript". For example, MSIE is known to support only 2083 characters
per URI: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/208427
I decided to test my theory and created a generic function to
pass over my url string and sure enough javascript dies with the same
error.

Which error?
I figured one way around it was to split my string into an
array and then join it up again but xmlHttp.open is not a method or
object I wrote, so I cant easily manipulate it.

It would not help you anyway. The URI needs to be complete in an HTTP
request. Read RFCs 1945 and 2616.
Any thoughts on a way around this?

As you cannot prevent people from using crappy UAs, and you cannot expect
the vendor of this particular crappy UA to get reasonable in no time, if
that, make a POST request instead.

PointedEars

jerm

Chances are that your crappy user agent and its API are the problem, not
"javascript".  For example, MSIE is known to support only 2083 characters
per URI:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/208427

Which error?

It would not help you anyway.  The URI needs to be complete in an HTTP
request.  Read RFCs 1945 and 2616.

As you cannot prevent people from using crappy UAs, and you cannot expect
the vendor of this particular crappy UA to get reasonable in no time, if
that, make a POST request instead.

PointedEars

You are correct thomas, I ended up just breaking down my url and
sending it in pieces. Thanks for your help!!!
jerm