Passing user credentials to another server...?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Wizard!, Nov 23, 2005.

  1. Wizard!

    Wizard! Guest

    Ehlo :)

    I am having this problem:
    Server A runs IIS and .NET framework
    Server B runs Microsoft Media Server

    users authenticate themselves to server A using web forms.
    SOME of them, have payed access to server B, so I need to redirect them
    there and view some streaming content.
    On server B there is a user (StreamUser) that can access the streaming
    content, but not the IUSR.

    So, I need to pass user/pass of StreamUser, to server B, and view the
    content, WITHOUT displaying the authentication window to user. The
    reason I want to avoid that is, that if he/she knows password for
    StreamUser, it could pass it away to other people that have not payed
    for this content.

    I am also able to know his real IP, since we are his/hers dialup/adsl
    provider.

    Any ideas?

    I tried using impersonation, I did logged on to server A, however, even
    if I had same user with same pass to server B, it still popups the
    authenticate window....
    Wizard!, Nov 23, 2005

  2. Hello Wizard!,

    you can't do that with windows authentication - if you would use forms auth
    on both server - this would be possible.

    ---------------------------------------
    Dominick Baier - DevelopMentor
    http://www.leastprivilege.com

    Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor], Nov 23, 2005

  3. Wizard!

    Ken Schaefer Guest

    Dominik is correct - up to a point.

    There do exist various SSO (Single Sign On) technologies based on the SAML
    (Security Assertion Markup Language) that allow you to do what you want.

    However, Microsoft's product (ADFS - Active Directory Federation Services)
    is not yet available. It will ship with Windows Server 2003 R2 in early
    2006. Alternatively there are other companies (notably Novell) that sell
    such solutions. However, both your products need to compatible with SAML.

    Cheers
    Ken

    "Wizard!" <> wrote in message
    : Ehlo :)