Passing User Values from screen to screen

Russell

Hi there,
I'm currently creating a .NET Web Application and I have a question about
passing values from one screen to another. I previously used Session
variables in the code to store these values, however I can no longer use
this method because of my current website "Cloaking" the URL. (When site is
cloked, the session variables don't seem to work with frames)

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone could offer an alternative, I have tried
using the querystring however this isn't secure as users can type different
values in the URL path and possibly have access to resources they are not
supposed to.

My question is are there alternatives to pass values that the user has
selected from one point to another, I guess I can drive it by the database
so long as I can always store their UserID once logged in somewhere but that
brings me back to the original question, how does the UserID store itself
throughout the duration of the users session without using the server
session variable.

Any help appreciated.

Regards, Russell

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

Here's a nice, simple way to pass values from one page to another:
(VB.NET code)

'Add data to the context object before transferring
Context.Items("myParameter") = x
Server.Transfer("WebForm2.aspx")

Then, in WebForm2.aspx:

'Grab data from the context property
Dim x as Integer = CType(Context.Items("myParameter"),Integer)

Of course there are a number of ways to pass values from one page to
another, such as using the querystring, cookies, session,
context, saving to a temporary table in the database between each page, etc.
You'll have to decide which technique is best for your application.
Here are several good articles on the subject to help you decide.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/03/04/ASPNETUserState/default.aspx

http://www.aspalliance.com/kenc/passval.aspx

http://www.dotnetjunkies.com/tutorials.aspx?tutorialid=600