Passing values between user controls

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by Peter K, Jan 13, 2010.

  1. Peter K

    Peter K Guest

    Hi

    I have a page (aspx) which contains many ascx controls.

    One of the ascx controls has a date-selection control, and when this is
    changed some of the other ascx's have to respond by changing their display
    appropriately.

    What is the best way of achieving this?

    Presently, in the "date selection" control, I fire an event when the date
    selection changes.
    The main page (aspx) subscribes to this event (from which it obtains the new
    date), and then calls special public methods on the other ascx's to supply
    them the date.

    Is this an ok method? It means the aspx has to know all its child ascx's
    which need to know the new date. Is it possible to fire another event in the
    aspx, which the relevant child ascx's subscribe to?

    Thanks,
    Peter
    Peter K, Jan 13, 2010

  2. It sounds like a very efficient technique for accomplishing your goal. Have
    you actually tried it yet, or are you just asking before trying to write the
    code (not that either one is bad)? I am asking this because if you have
    tried it and there was a problem, we may be able to help you more if you
    show us the code and/or error. Good luck!
    --
    Nathan Sokalski

    http://www.nathansokalski.com/

    Nathan Sokalski, Feb 18, 2010