Passing values to browser and webpage?

Paul D.Smith

All,

it is possible to pass values to a browser? Background is that I have no
control over my webserver so I'm looking for a way for someone to "move"
from Page A to page B, somehow having page B know that we arrived from page
A, and not C, D etc.

So can I pass information dynamically like this?

Thanks,
Paul DS.

rf

Paul said:
it is possible to pass values to a browser? Background is that I have no
control over my webserver

Does your web server not support server side scripting?
so I'm looking for a way for someone to "move"
from Page A to page B, somehow having page B know that we arrived from page
A, and not C, D etc.

In page A:

Then use some javascript to pull the A out of the location.

Only works if javascript is enabled of course. Also stuffs up (usually)
caching. Also *may* stop the link being followed by Googlebot.

Paul D.Smith

rf said:
Does your web server not support server side scripting?

No, I have no control over my web server as it is hosted, on-the-cheap, by
my ISP.
In page A:

Then use some javascript to pull the A out of the location.

Only works if javascript is enabled of course. Also stuffs up (usually)
caching. Also *may* stop the link being followed by Googlebot.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Paul DS.

nice.guy.nige

While the city slept, Paul D.Smith ([email protected]) feverishly
typed...
No, I have no control over my web server as it is hosted,
on-the-cheap, by my ISP.

There is very cheap PHP-enabled hosting available from the likes of
http://www.affordablehost.com (from $35 / year), and free PHP-enabled
hosting from http://www.uklinux.net/ (but you have to sign up with them as
an ISP, and I think you may have to be connected through them to ftp. Your
web address will be www.yourname.uklinux.net - if you are ok with that, then
not a bad deal!)

Hope that helps,
Nige

Martin Jay

nice.guy.nige said:
While the city slept, Paul D.Smith ([email protected]) feverishly
typed...
There is very cheap PHP-enabled hosting available from the likes of
http://www.affordablehost.com (from $35 / year), and free PHP-enabled
hosting from http://www.uklinux.net/ (but you have to sign up with them as
an ISP, and I think you may have to be connected through them to ftp. Your
web address will be www.yourname.uklinux.net - if you are ok with that, then
not a bad deal!)

Another free PHP-enabled host with no ads is
http://www.freelinuxhost.com/.

I've had an account with them for a while, but haven't made much use of
it, so I don't know how reliable their service is.

Never forget: "you get what you pay for." :)