RadioSignal

I have been using dummy invisible text boxes and labels defined in the VS
2005 designer to pass parameters between my code behind pages and my .aspx
pages. This works but there's got to be a better way? How do I give my .aspx
page visibility to variables declared in my .aspx.cs code instead of using
the dummy controls that I'm using now?

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi RadioSignal,

Welcome to ASPNET newsgroup.
Regarding on the accessing variable defined in codebehind page(aspx.cs.)
from aspx template, I think we can just make those Page member variable as
non-private(protected or public). Because at runtime, the dynamically
compiled page class is a concrete class derived from the codebehind page
class, so any protected or public page member variables can be accessed
from the dynamic compiled page. For example, we can define the following
page variable in codebehind:

=============
public partial class SimplePage : System.Web.UI.Page
{
protected string PageId;

PageId = "Simple Page";
============

then, in aspx , we can access the variable like:

<form id="form1" runat="server">
<%= PageId %>

Also, we can also define page's member function like this and used in aspx.

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)
--------------------
| From: "=?Utf-8?B?UmFkaW9TaWduYWw=?=" <[email protected]>
| Subject: passing variables from .aspx.cs code pages to .aspx pages
| Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 12:49:01 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
|
| I have been using dummy invisible text boxes and labels defined in the VS
| 2005 designer to pass parameters between my code behind pages and my
aspx
| pages. This works but there's got to be a better way? How do I give my
aspx
| page visibility to variables declared in my .aspx.cs code instead of
using
| the dummy controls that I'm using now?

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi RadioSignal,

How are you doing on this issue and does the suggestions in my last reply
helps a littile? If there're anything else we can help, please feel free to
post here. Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)
--------------------
| From: (e-mail address removed) (Steven Cheng[MSFT])
| Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 02:00:47 GMT
| Subject: RE: passing variables from .aspx.cs code pages to .aspx pages
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
|
| Hi RadioSignal,
|
| Welcome to ASPNET newsgroup.
| Regarding on the accessing variable defined in codebehind page(aspx.cs.)
| from aspx template, I think we can just make those Page member variable
as
| non-private(protected or public). Because at runtime, the dynamically
| compiled page class is a concrete class derived from the codebehind page
| class, so any protected or public page member variables can be accessed
| from the dynamic compiled page. For example, we can define the following
| page variable in codebehind:
|
| =============
| public partial class SimplePage : System.Web.UI.Page
| {
| protected string PageId;
|
| protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
| {
| PageId = "Simple Page";
| }
| ============
|
| then, in aspx , we can access the variable like:

| <form id="form1" runat="server">
| <%= PageId %>

| Also, we can also define page's member function like this and used in
aspx.

| Thanks,
|
| Steven Cheng
| Microsoft Online Support

| rights.)
| --------------------
| | From: "=?Utf-8?B?UmFkaW9TaWduYWw=?=" <[email protected]>
| | Subject: passing variables from .aspx.cs code pages to .aspx pages
| | Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 12:49:01 -0700
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
| |
| | I have been using dummy invisible text boxes and labels defined in the
VS
| | 2005 designer to pass parameters between my code behind pages and my
| .aspx
| | pages. This works but there's got to be a better way? How do I give my
| .aspx
| | page visibility to variables declared in my .aspx.cs code instead of
| using
| | the dummy controls that I'm using now?
| |

RadioSignal

Steven, Thank you for the help, but I am still having problems with these
parameters. Here is my aspx.cs:

public partial class Test : System.Web.UI.Page
{
protected string MyPatientID;

//What I'd like to do:
MyPatientID = "13";

//What I have to do:
TextBox1.Text = "13";

However, in aspx:

<asp:SqlDataSource ID="SqlDataSource1" runat="server" ConnectionString="<%$
ConnectionStrings:MyConnectionString %>"

SelectCommand="SELECT PatientID, BarCode, ChartID, EmpID,
NameID, Diagnosis, BeginTime FROM Patients WHERE (PatientID = @Param1)">

<SelectParameters>

What I want to do:

<%Param1 = MyPatientID;%>

What I have to do:

<asp:ControlParameter ControlID="TextBox1" Name="Param1"
PropertyName="Text" />

</SelectParameters>

</asp:SqlDataSource>

I am receiving the error - Code block not allowed in this context.

Any ideas how to get access to the MyPatientID variable in the <Select
Parameters> section?

Steven Cheng said:
Hi RadioSignal,

How are you doing on this issue and does the suggestions in my last reply
helps a littile? If there're anything else we can help, please feel free to
post here. Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)
--------------------
| From: (e-mail address removed) (Steven Cheng[MSFT])
| Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 02:00:47 GMT
| Subject: RE: passing variables from .aspx.cs code pages to .aspx pages
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
|
| Hi RadioSignal,
|
| Welcome to ASPNET newsgroup.
| Regarding on the accessing variable defined in codebehind page(aspx.cs.)
| from aspx template, I think we can just make those Page member variable
as
| non-private(protected or public). Because at runtime, the dynamically
| compiled page class is a concrete class derived from the codebehind page
| class, so any protected or public page member variables can be accessed
| from the dynamic compiled page. For example, we can define the following
| page variable in codebehind:
|
| =============
| public partial class SimplePage : System.Web.UI.Page
| {
| protected string PageId;
|
| protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
| {
| PageId = "Simple Page";
| }
| ============
|
| then, in aspx , we can access the variable like:

| <form id="form1" runat="server">
| <%= PageId %>

| Also, we can also define page's member function like this and used in
aspx.

| Thanks,
|
| Steven Cheng
| Microsoft Online Support

| rights.)
| --------------------
| | From: "=?Utf-8?B?UmFkaW9TaWduYWw=?=" <[email protected]>
| | Subject: passing variables from .aspx.cs code pages to .aspx pages
| | Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 12:49:01 -0700
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
| |
| | I have been using dummy invisible text boxes and labels defined in the
VS
| | 2005 designer to pass parameters between my code behind pages and my
| .aspx
| | pages. This works but there's got to be a better way? How do I give my
| .aspx
| | page visibility to variables declared in my .aspx.cs code instead of
| using
| | the dummy controls that I'm using now?
| |

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi RadioSignal,

Thanks for your response. Well, from your further description and the code
snippet, I've got the cause of your problem, for ASP.NET server control, we
can't assign the value in their template through
<% %> code block.

also, we can only assign top level property value for ASP.NET controls
through <%# ... %> or <%$ ...%> expressions. And for the
<XXXParameters> in the XXDataSource control, I'm afraid they can only be
delared on page statically, we can't use code expression to add them
dynamically since they're required to be fixed and determined at compiled
time much ealier before our code in <% ... %> get executed. Is there any
particular requirement in your application that you need to dynamically
define paramters for datasrouce control?

Based on my experience, we should always define the parameters statically
in the aspx page's inline template , but we can adjust those parameters'
value at runtime through DataSource control's certain events.

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: "=?Utf-8?B?UmFkaW9TaWduYWw=?=" <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: passing variables from .aspx.cs code pages to .aspx pages
| Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 08:08:03 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
|
| Steven, Thank you for the help, but I am still having problems with these
| parameters. Here is my aspx.cs:
|
| public partial class Test : System.Web.UI.Page
| {
| protected string MyPatientID;
|
| protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
| {
| //What I'd like to do:
| MyPatientID = "13";
|
| //What I have to do:
| TextBox1.Text = "13";
| }
| }
|
| However, in aspx:
|
| <asp:SqlDataSource ID="SqlDataSource1" runat="server"
ConnectionString="<%$
| ConnectionStrings:MyConnectionString %>"
|
| SelectCommand="SELECT PatientID, BarCode, ChartID, EmpID,
| NameID, Diagnosis, BeginTime FROM Patients WHERE (PatientID = @Param1)">
|
| <SelectParameters>
|
| What I want to do:
|
| <%Param1 = MyPatientID;%>
|
| What I have to do:
|
| <asp:ControlParameter ControlID="TextBox1" Name="Param1"
| PropertyName="Text" />
|
| </SelectParameters>
|
| </asp:SqlDataSource>
|

| I am receiving the error - Code block not allowed in this context.
|
| Any ideas how to get access to the MyPatientID variable in the <Select
| Parameters> section?
|
| "Steven Cheng[MSFT]" wrote:
|
| > Hi RadioSignal,
| >
| > How are you doing on this issue and does the suggestions in my last
reply
| > helps a littile? If there're anything else we can help, please feel
free to
| > post here. Thanks,
| >
| > Steven Cheng
| > Microsoft Online Support

| > rights.)
| > --------------------
| > | From: (e-mail address removed) (Steven Cheng[MSFT])
| > | Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 02:00:47 GMT
| > | Subject: RE: passing variables from .aspx.cs code pages to .aspx pages
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
| > |
| > | Hi RadioSignal,
| > |
| > | Welcome to ASPNET newsgroup.
| > | Regarding on the accessing variable defined in codebehind
page(aspx.cs.)
| > | from aspx template, I think we can just make those Page member
variable
| > as
| > | non-private(protected or public). Because at runtime, the dynamically
| > | compiled page class is a concrete class derived from the codebehind
page
| > | class, so any protected or public page member variables can be
accessed
| > | from the dynamic compiled page. For example, we can define the
following
| > | page variable in codebehind:
| > |
| > | =============
| > | public partial class SimplePage : System.Web.UI.Page
| > | {
| > | protected string PageId;
| > |
| > | protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
| > | {
| > | PageId = "Simple Page";
| > | }
| > | ============
| > |
| > | then, in aspx , we can access the variable like:
| > |
| > | <form id="form1" runat="server">
| > | <%= PageId %>
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > | Also, we can also define page's member function like this and used in
| > aspx.
| > |
| > |
| > | Thanks,
| > |
| > | Steven Cheng
| > | Microsoft Online Support
| > |
| > | Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
| > | (This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no
| > | rights.)
| > | --------------------
| > VS
| > | .aspx
| > | .aspx
| > | using
| > | |
| > |
| > |

RadioSignal

Thank you. I would think passing a parameter from C# code behind to the
DataSource would be a fairly common application requirement. For example,
when the C# code behind figures out which records to SELECT and wants to
update the WHERE ID = @Param1 value in the SQL command. Doing this by
modifying an invisible TextBox.Test value and specifying it as a control
parameter for Name = "@Param1" works real well, but I thought there had to be
a better way...

Steven Cheng said:
> [...]

| SelectCommand="SELECT PatientID, BarCode, ChartID, EmpID,
| NameID, Diagnosis, BeginTime FROM Patients WHERE (PatientID = @Param1)">
|
| <SelectParameters>
|
| What I want to do:
|
| <%Param1 = MyPatientID;%>
|
| What I have to do:
|
| <asp:ControlParameter ControlID="TextBox1" Name="Param1"
| PropertyName="Text" />
|
| </SelectParameters>
|
| </asp:SqlDataSource>
|

| I am receiving the error - Code block not allowed in this context.
|
| Any ideas how to get access to the MyPatientID variable in the <Select
| Parameters> section?
|
| "Steven Cheng[MSFT]" wrote:
|
| > Hi RadioSignal,
| >
| > How are you doing on this issue and does the suggestions in my last
reply
| > helps a littile? If there're anything else we can help, please feel

| > |
| > | Welcome to ASPNET newsgroup.
| > | Regarding on the accessing variable defined in codebehind
page(aspx.cs.)
| > | from aspx template, I think we can just make those Page member
variable
| > as
| > | non-private(protected or public). Because at runtime, the dynamically
| > | compiled page class is a concrete class derived from the codebehind
page
| > | class, so any protected or public page member variables can be
accessed
| > | from the dynamic compiled page. For example, we can define the
following
| > | page variable in codebehind:
| > |
| > | =============
| > | public partial class SimplePage : System.Web.UI.Page
| > | {
| > | protected string PageId;
| > |
| > | protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
| > | {
| > | PageId = "Simple Page";
| > | }
| > | ============
| > |
| > | then, in aspx , we can access the variable like:
| > |
| > | <form id="form1" runat="server">
| > | <%= PageId %>
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > | Also, we can also define page's member function like this and used in
| > aspx.
| > |
| > |
| > | Thanks,
| > |
| > | Steven Cheng
| > | Microsoft Online Support
| > |
| > | Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
| > | (This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no
| > | rights.)
| > | --------------------
| > VS
| > | .aspx
| > | .aspx
| > | using
| > | |
| > |
| > |

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi RadioSignal,

Yes, of course we can dynamically pass Parameter values for the defined
Parameters in the DataSource control, however, that's not through the
inline template because the template is used to define the parameters, but
not assign the values. In another word, the actual values of each
parameter is retrieved before the certain command of the datasource control
is executed from the parameter source rather than stored in the Datasource
control, that's also why we can not specify value of parameter in
DataSource. So you original means of modifying the Control's property is
the correct means.

Also, as I've mentioned in the previous message, the ASP.net 2.0's
DataSource controls has provide some pre processing events which can help
us access and modify the Parameters collection which will be passed to the
Command about to execute. For example, the SqlDataSource's

Selecting, Inserting, Updating, Deleting events will all contains the
parameters collection as the event's EventArgs so that we can access and
adjust the parameters before the command being executed. That'll be a good
place to do some dynamic customzation.

> [...]

| > Thanks,
| >
| > Steven Cheng
| > Microsoft Online Support

| > rights.)
| >

| > --------------------
| > | From: "=?Utf-8?B?UmFkaW9TaWduYWw=?=" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: RE: passing variables from .aspx.cs code pages to .aspx pages
| > | Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 08:08:03 -0700
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
| > |
| > | Steven, Thank you for the help, but I am still having problems with
these
| > | parameters. Here is my aspx.cs:
| > |
| > | public partial class Test : System.Web.UI.Page
| > | {
| > | protected string MyPatientID;
| > |
| > | protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
| > |
| > | //What I have to do:
| > | TextBox1.Text = "13";
| > | }
| > | }
| > |
| > | However, in aspx:
| > |
| > | <asp:SqlDataSource ID="SqlDataSource1" runat="server"
| > ConnectionString="<%$
| > | ConnectionStrings:MyConnectionString %>"
| > |
| > | SelectCommand="SELECT PatientID, BarCode, ChartID, EmpID,
| > | NameID, Diagnosis, BeginTime FROM Patients WHERE (PatientID =
@Param1)">
| > |
| > | <SelectParameters>
| > |
| > | What I want to do:
| > |
| > | <%Param1 = MyPatientID;%>
| > |
| > | What I have to do:
| > |
| > | <asp:ControlParameter ControlID="TextBox1"
Name="Param1"
| > | PropertyName="Text" />
| > |
| > | </SelectParameters>
| > |
| > | </asp:SqlDataSource>
| > |
| > |
| > | I am receiving the error - Code block not allowed in this context.
| > |
| > | Any ideas how to get access to the MyPatientID variable in the
<Select
| > | Parameters> section?
| > |
| > | "Steven Cheng[MSFT]" wrote:
| > |

| > reply
| > free to

| > | > |
| > page(aspx.cs.)
| > variable
| > page
| > accessed
| > following
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
<[email protected]>
| > | > | |
| > the
| > my
| > my
| > of
| > | > | |
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |

Mirronelli

Hi Steven,

I think RadioSignal is right. As I know you can't set the parameter's value
in the datasource's selecting eventhandler, because these parameters mimic
their declarative syntax. In other words you see the parameter definition,
name, type etc. but you can't set the value which will be used in select.

RadioSignal used a fake hidden textbox control, which value can be set at
runtime. He then declared controlparameter which controlid was set to the
textboxes' id.

I saw also another way to solve it by using a subclassed parameter, which
then used reflection to acces a member from page.
http://blog.davidyack.com/comments/3385.aspx
it looks nice, but I would really appreciate this to be part of aspnet

And yes you really can change the value of a parameter before executing
command but only if:
a) you handle the target control's bindig events eg. formview.updating event
in contrast to datasources events
b) this works only for updates, deletes and inserts not for selects because
these databound controls do not raise selecting events

Steven Cheng said:
> [...]

| > Thanks,
| >
| > Steven Cheng
| > Microsoft Online Support

| > rights.)
| >

| > --------------------
| > | From: "=?Utf-8?B?UmFkaW9TaWduYWw=?=" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: RE: passing variables from .aspx.cs code pages to .aspx pages
| > | Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 08:08:03 -0700
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
| > |
| > | Steven, Thank you for the help, but I am still having problems with
these
| > | parameters. Here is my aspx.cs:
| > |
| > | public partial class Test : System.Web.UI.Page
| > | {
| > | protected string MyPatientID;
| > |
| > | protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
| > |
| > | //What I have to do:
| > | TextBox1.Text = "13";
| > | }
| > | }
| > |
| > | However, in aspx:
| > |
| > | <asp:SqlDataSource ID="SqlDataSource1" runat="server"
| > ConnectionString="<%$
| > | ConnectionStrings:MyConnectionString %>"
| > |
| > | SelectCommand="SELECT PatientID, BarCode, ChartID, EmpID,
| > | NameID, Diagnosis, BeginTime FROM Patients WHERE (PatientID =
@Param1)">
| > |
| > | <SelectParameters>
| > |
| > | What I want to do:
| > |
| > | <%Param1 = MyPatientID;%>
| > |
| > | What I have to do:
| > |
| > | <asp:ControlParameter ControlID="TextBox1"
Name="Param1"
| > | PropertyName="Text" />
| > |
| > | </SelectParameters>
| > |
| > | </asp:SqlDataSource>
| > |
| > |
| > | I am receiving the error - Code block not allowed in this context.
| > |
| > | Any ideas how to get access to the MyPatientID variable in the
<Select
| > | Parameters> section?
| > |
| > | "Steven Cheng[MSFT]" wrote: