Passing variables from Perl to other programs

Efialtis

I have a fun situation using a testing tool with VBA. However, to do
some of the things in VBA it would take too long, and it wouldn't work
right with this particular application...

I am passing in to perl, a chunck of HTML. VBA has a really easy
command for this "getHTML"...

In perl, I am parsing out some necessary items from the
HTML...standard, easy, and working.

What I don't know how to do is pass the results back out to VBA
without using a TEMP file, which will not work with this
application...

Is there a way to pass out a string from perl back into vba?

Stuart Moore

Efialtis said:
I have a fun situation using a testing tool with VBA. However, to do
some of the things in VBA it would take too long, and it wouldn't work
right with this particular application...

I am passing in to perl, a chunck of HTML. VBA has a really easy
command for this "getHTML"...

In perl, I am parsing out some necessary items from the
HTML...standard, easy, and working.

What I don't know how to do is pass the results back out to VBA
without using a TEMP file, which will not work with this
application...

Is there a way to pass out a string from perl back into vba?

How are you running perl from vba? Can you track perl's output and parse
it in vba? Otherwise I've used sockets to communicate between Perl and
another process quite sucesfully.

Stuart

Efialtis

I am using this like to call Perl from VBA

Shell ("perl.exe -d C:\TaskComplete.pl --TASK=EnterBorrowerData
--URL=QA")

The perl goes through and does a lot of things, and at the end, I end
up with a string that VBA needs to continue.

I have tried outputting this string into a TXT file, but because of
the application of the VBA and the program we are working with, it
will not work to go this rout.

John Bokma

Efialtis said:
I am using this like to call Perl from VBA

Shell ("perl.exe -d C:\TaskComplete.pl --TASK=EnterBorrowerData
--URL=QA")

The perl goes through and does a lot of things, and at the end, I end
up with a string that VBA needs to continue.

I have tried outputting this string into a TXT file, but because of
the application of the VBA and the program we are working with, it
will not work to go this rout.

VBA as in Visual Basic for applications? Why not call the program using
COM from Perl? (The other way around)? I have called Excel from Perl
several times in the past.

If VBA calls Perl, it is IMHO possible to talk back to Excel using COM.