    without using a TEMP file, which will not work with this
    application...

    Is there a way to pass out a string from perl back into vba?
    Efialtis, May 18, 2004

  2. Efialtis

    Stuart Moore Guest

    Efialtis wrote:

    > I have a fun situation using a testing tool with VBA. However, to do
    > some of the things in VBA it would take too long, and it wouldn't work
    > right with this particular application...
    >
    > I am passing in to perl, a chunck of HTML. VBA has a really easy
    > command for this "getHTML"...
    >
    > In perl, I am parsing out some necessary items from the
    > HTML...standard, easy, and working.
    >
    > What I don't know how to do is pass the results back out to VBA
    > without using a TEMP file, which will not work with this
    > application...
    >
    > Is there a way to pass out a string from perl back into vba?

    How are you running perl from vba? Can you track perl's output and parse
    it in vba? Otherwise I've used sockets to communicate between Perl and
    another process quite sucesfully.

    Stuart
    Stuart Moore, May 18, 2004

  3. Efialtis

    Efialtis Guest

    I am using this like to call Perl from VBA

    Shell ("perl.exe -d C:\TaskComplete.pl --TASK=EnterBorrowerData
    --URL=QA")

    The perl goes through and does a lot of things, and at the end, I end
    up with a string that VBA needs to continue.

    I have tried outputting this string into a TXT file, but because of
    the application of the VBA and the program we are working with, it
    will not work to go this rout.
    Efialtis, May 18, 2004
  4. Efialtis

    John Bokma Guest

    Efialtis wrote:

    > I am using this like to call Perl from VBA
    >
    > Shell ("perl.exe -d C:\TaskComplete.pl --TASK=EnterBorrowerData
    > --URL=QA")
    >
    > The perl goes through and does a lot of things, and at the end, I end
    > up with a string that VBA needs to continue.
    >
    > I have tried outputting this string into a TXT file, but because of
    > the application of the VBA and the program we are working with, it
    > will not work to go this rout.

    VBA as in Visual Basic for applications? Why not call the program using
    COM from Perl? (The other way around)? I have called Excel from Perl
    several times in the past.

    If VBA calls Perl, it is IMHO possible to talk back to Excel using COM.

    --
    John MexIT: http://johnbokma.com/mexit/
    personal page: http://johnbokma.com/
    John Bokma, May 19, 2004