Password and ConfirmPassword Fields Are Empty in CreateUserWizard

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by EagleRed@HighFlyingBirds.com, Jan 30, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I am writing an ASP.NET 2.0 application using Forms Authentication and a SQL
    Server 2005 database that was created using the aspnet_regsql utiliity. The
    database does not use the default name, aspnetdb. I am setting up a page
    using the CreateUserWizard to allow new users to register with the site. The
    wizard has two pages, the first to allow input of user information including
    the Password and ConfirmPassword textboxes, and the second to enter other
    information such as company information that will not be used in the
    Membership API. The first page is built using the CreateUserWizardStep and
    ContentTemplate with the StartNavigaionTemplate feature. This setups up a
    "Next" button on the first page.
    When I run the application in the debugger and enter the information I get
    an error as follows:

    Password length minimum: 6. Non-alphanumeric characters required: 1.

    The Password and ConfirmPassword controls are displayed as empty event
    though I can retrieve the input from both in the "Next" button handler from
    the CreateWizard1.Password value. What is going on? Why is this failing and
    how can I get past this?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    , Jan 30, 2006

  2. Hi,

    does your password meet the complexity requirements?

    ---------------------------------------
    Dominick Baier - DevelopMentor
    http://www.leastprivilege.com

    Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor], Jan 30, 2006

    Re: Password and ConfirmPassword Fields Are Empty in CreateUserWiz

    Yes.

    Actually I am really trying to set
    minRequiredNonalphanumericCharacters="0". I ran into this problem and
    deleted this from the web.config. So, I was using the regular expression,
    "[\w\W]{6-12}", for the passwordStrengthRegularExpression attribute. The
    password was "w!99hthr". When I removed the
    passwordStrengthRegularExpression attribute from the web.config I was able to
    get to the second page. I assume there is some defaualt regular expression
    that is applied.

    I expect to be doing this a lot because the app users will resist using
    really strong passwords with non-alphanumeric characters. I expect to use
    the regular expression, "\w{6-12}". Is this the behavior when the entered
    password fails to match the passwordStrengthRegularExpression attribute?