    they will be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks for your time.

    William.

    William Colls, Apr 3, 2012

  2. William Colls

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 4/2/2012 10:04 PM, William Colls wrote:
    > I am working on a project in which we will need to encrypt some files.
    > For reason beyond my control, we will have to use Password Based
    > Encryption, and for the most part we have that working. However, I have
    > not, so far, been able to find any guidance that we can give our users
    > with respect to the password it self: Minimum length? Maximum Length?
    > Does case matter? We assume that the usual rules for "Strong Passwords"
    > will apply.

    To fully utilize a standard encryption algorithm like AES 128 then
    you need a password that has 128 bits of real entropy and are
    nit in any dictionaries. That will be a relative long password.
    I guess you can call it passphrase!

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Apr 3, 2012

  3. William Colls

    markspace Guest

    On 4/2/2012 7:04 PM, William Colls wrote:

    > I am working on a project in which we will need to encrypt some files.
    > For reason beyond my control, we will have to use Password Based
    > Encryption, and for the most part we have that working. However, I have
    > not, so far, been able to find any guidance that we can give our users
    > with respect to the password it self: Minimum length? Maximum Length?
    > Does case matter? We assume that the usual rules for "Strong Passwords"
    > will apply.
    >
    > If anyone has useful pointers or links that will help in this regard,
    > they will be greatly appreciated.

    Iirc, there's quite a lot of algorithms that are grouped under the
    general description of "password based." Can you say specifically what
    you are using, and what parameters you use in the Java API? (I assume
    you're using the Java API.)

    Otherwise, there might be far to many options to really cover anything
    more than just general platitudes.

    markspace, Apr 3, 2012
  4. William Colls

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Mon, 02 Apr 2012 22:04:07 -0400, William Colls
    who said :

    >I am working on a project in which we will need to encrypt some files.
    >For reason beyond my control, we will have to use Password Based
    >Encryption, and for the most part we have that working. However, I have
    >not, so far, been able to find any guidance that we can give our users
    >with respect to the password it self: Minimum length? Maximum Length?
    >Does case matter? We assume that the usual rules for "Strong Passwords"
    >will apply.

    see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jce.html
    If will do most of the well known types of encryption.

    If you need something very lightweight that you can verify for
    yourself contains no trapdoors, see
    http://mindprod.com/products.html#TRANSPORTER
    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products