Password expiration good practice.

Mathieu Pagé

Hi,

In my ASP.NET application I want the password to expires after some
time. When a user sign in and his password is expired I automatically
send him to the change password page with a message explaining why he is
required to change his password.

What I want to do is prevent him to browse to any other page (whether by
using a link or by entering an other page URL in his browser) before his
password has been changed.

The only way I can think of, and I don't like it, is to check in the
OnLoad of every pages if the password is not expired and redirect the
user if it is.

Since this a common scenario, I suppose there is some etablished "good
practices" already know to deal with this problem. So i'm here, asking
you : Is there an elegant way to prevent a logged user from browsing my
site before he change his password?

Thanks in advance,

Mathieu Pagé

Guest

...to check in the
OnLoad of every pages if the password is not expired and redirect the
user if it is.

Mathieu, I think it should be done after the login process, e.g. in
the login.aspx only. After authenticating user you will check if
password is expired, or not and if it is expired he/she should be
redirected to the "renew password" form.