    does it depend on what your web hosts' control panel is capable of?

    thanks for any input or direction on this...

    Eugene
    Eugene, Jan 23, 2004

  2. Eugene

    brucie Guest

    in post: <news:SV4Qb.2935$P51.1267@clgrps12>
    "Eugene" <> said:

    > is there a "cheap and easy" way to password lock an html page?

    yes.

    > elementary Javascript perhaps?

    not secure in any way, people will just point laugh at you.

    > someone told me that you have to fool with the "HTACCESS" file,

    ..htaccess tutes specifically related to password protection: (they're
    the most fun and make you giggle)
    http://bignosebird.com/passwd.shtml
    http://lightsphere.com/dev/htpass.html
    http://www.pagematic.com/faq/htaccess.htm
    http://www.icthus.net/CGI-City/tut_htaccess1.shtml
    http://www.vortex-webdesign.com/help/pwprotect.htm
    http://htmlgoodies.earthweb.com/tutors/password/pw2.html
    http://help.powweb.com/tutorials/htaccess/passprotect.php
    http://www.cgiextremes.com/extras/Tips_Tutorials/htaccess.html#2

    > but this is "greek" to me at this point.

    its not hard to learn

    > does it depend on what your web hosts' control panel is capable of?

    no, the control panel goodies are just a frontend but i would say it
    would be unusual these days for a hosts control panel not to have an
    option to password protect directories. if they don't then you're stuck
    with the .htaccess file or installing a premade script:

    http://www.hotscripts.com/PHP/Scripts_and_Programs/User_Authentication/
    http://www.hotscripts.com/Perl/Scripts_and_Programs/Password_Protection/
    http://www.hotscripts.com/ASP/Scripts_and_Components/User_Authentication/

    --
    brucie - i usenet nude
    brucie, Jan 23, 2004

  3. Eugene

    Richard Guest

    Eugene wrote:

    > hey folks,

    > is there a "cheap and easy" way to password lock an html page?

    > elementary Javascript perhaps?

    > someone told me that you have to fool with the "HTACCESS" file, but this
    > is "greek" to me at this point.

    > does it depend on what your web hosts' control panel is capable of?

    > thanks for any input or direction on this...

    > Eugene

    Check with your host for recommendations and allowances.
    don't just go doing it on your own.
    Richard, Jan 23, 2004
  4. Eugene

    brucie Guest

    in post: <news:4designers.com>
    chriz <4designers.com> said:

    Do you realize that you are not posting to a website forum when you use
    this site. They are passing your posts on to the usenet newsgroup
    alt.html

    alt.html is a publicly available newsgroup. The website you are using is
    stealing its content directly from there and pretending that it is
    their own. There is no original material at all on the website you are
    looking at now. It is all coming directly from usenet.

    I suggest you obtain a newsreader and visit us at news:alt.html -
    you will get a far better reaction to your question.

    If you can not use a newsreader then http://groups.google.com will
    provide you web based access into usenet, and they don't lie about the
    content being their own.

    rf © 2004

    --
    brucie - i usenet nude
    brucie, Jan 23, 2004
  5. Eugene

    chriz Guest

    chriz, Jan 23, 2004
  6. Eugene

    steven Guest

    "brucie" <> wrote in message
    > in post: <news:4designers.com>
    > chriz <4designers.com> said:

    > Do you realize that you are not posting to a website forum when you use
    > this site. They are passing your posts on to the usenet newsgroup
    > alt.html
    >
    > alt.html is a publicly available newsgroup. The website you are using is
    > stealing its content directly from there and pretending that it is
    > their own. There is no original material at all on the website you are
    > looking at now. It is all coming directly from usenet.
    >
    > I suggest you obtain a newsreader and visit us at news:alt.html -
    > you will get a far better reaction to your question.
    >
    > If you can not use a newsreader then http://groups.google.com will
    > provide you web based access into usenet, and they don't lie about the
    > content being their own.
    >
    > rf © 2004
    >

    > --
    > brucie - i usenet nude

    Quite right!
    steven, Jan 23, 2004
  7. Eugene

    Kris Guest

    In article <4designers.com>,
    chriz <4designers.com> wrote:

    > You can put up a password using javascript and HTML together. Try this
    > link :
    >
    > www.javascriptsource.com
    >
    > and choose the Pass.Protection page. There are a lot of passwords for
    > you to try out there

    <point laughs at you>

    --
    Kris
    <> (nl)
    Kris, Jan 23, 2004
  8. Eugene

    Kris Guest

    (OT) usenet-harvesting webforums

    In article <buqq0o$ks3hp$-berlin.de>,
    brucie <> wrote:

    > Do you realize that you are not posting to a website forum when you use
    > this site. They are passing your posts on to the usenet newsgroup
    > alt.html
    >
    > alt.html is a publicly available newsgroup. The website you are using is
    > stealing its content directly from there and pretending that it is
    > their own. There is no original material at all on the website you are
    > looking at now. It is all coming directly from usenet.
    >
    > I suggest you obtain a newsreader and visit us at news:alt.html -
    > you will get a far better reaction to your question.
    >
    > If you can not use a newsreader then http://groups.google.com will
    > provide you web based access into usenet, and they don't lie about the
    > content being their own.

    Complaint sent to the register of forum4designers.com,
    Mr. Dmitri Snytkine,

    Let's hope that anyone who attaches value to being a member of the
    forum4designers-community realizes the false truth. I invite them to
    come over to alt.html directly.

    --
    Kris
    <> (nl)
    Kris, Jan 23, 2004
  9. Eugene

    Whitecrest Guest

    Re: (OT) usenet-harvesting webforums

    In article <4all.nl>,
    erlands says...
    > Complaint sent to the register of forum4designers.com,
    > Mr. Dmitri Snytkine,
    > Let's hope that anyone who attaches value to being a member of the
    > forum4designers-community realizes the false truth. I invite them to
    > come over to alt.html directly.

    Why does it matter how someone gets here?

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
    Whitecrest, Jan 23, 2004
  10. Re: (OT) usenet-harvesting webforums

    Whitecrest wrote:
    > In article <4all.nl>,
    > erlands says...
    >
    >>Complaint sent to the register of forum4designers.com,
    >>Mr. Dmitri Snytkine,
    >>Let's hope that anyone who attaches value to being a member of the
    >>forum4designers-community realizes the false truth. I invite them to
    >>come over to alt.html directly.

    > Why does it matter how someone gets here?

    Why do you care?

    Matthias
    Matthias Gutfeldt, Jan 23, 2004
  11. Eugene

    Eric Bohlman Guest

    > In article <4all.nl>,
    > erlands says...
    >> Complaint sent to the register of forum4designers.com,
    >> Mr. Dmitri Snytkine,
    >> Let's hope that anyone who attaches value to being a member of the
    >> forum4designers-community realizes the false truth. I invite them to
    >> come over to alt.html directly.

    > Why does it matter how someone gets here?

    I think that what bugs people is that forum4designers makes no attempt to
    indicate that their "forums" are actually gateways into something else
    entirely. It's rather similar to what happened in 1993 when AOL began
    offering access to Usenet, but gave no indication that the groups were
    anything different from AOL's internal message boards. The result was that
    users were completely unaware that they were posting into places that had
    well-developed cultures of their own, which naturally led to some culture
    clashes.
    Eric Bohlman, Jan 23, 2004
  12. Eugene

    Whitecrest Guest

    Re: (OT) usenet-harvesting webforums

    In article <bur4b6$feg4l$-berlin.de>, say-no-to-
    says...
    > >>forum4designers-community realizes the false truth. I invite them to
    > >>come over to alt.html directly.

    > > Why does it matter how someone gets here?

    > Why do you care?

    Exactly, why do you care?
    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
    Whitecrest, Jan 23, 2004
  13. Eugene

    Whitecrest Guest

    Re: (OT) usenet-harvesting webforums

    In article <Xns9479465036926ebohlmanomsdevcom@130.133.1.4>,
    says...
    > > Why does it matter how someone gets here?

    > I think that what bugs people is that forum4designers makes no attempt to
    > indicate that their "forums" are actually gateways into something else
    > entirely. It's rather similar to what happened in 1993 when AOL began
    > offering access to Usenet, but gave no indication that the groups were
    > anything different from AOL's internal message boards. The result was that
    > users were completely unaware that they were posting into places that had
    > well-developed cultures of their own, which naturally led to some culture
    > clashes.

    Welcome to the globe. Just seems like a silly thing to get your undies
    in a bunch over. (Not you specifically)

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
    Whitecrest, Jan 23, 2004
  14. Eugene

    PeterMcC Guest

    Re: (OT) usenet-harvesting webforums

    Whitecrest <> wrote in
    <>

    > In article <bur4b6$feg4l$-berlin.de>, say-no-to-
    > says...
    >>> Why does it matter how someone gets here?

    >> Why do you care?

    > Exactly, why do you care?

    Is this thread composed entirely of questions?

    --
    PeterMcC
    inappropriate or offensive in any way,
    PeterMcC, Jan 23, 2004
  15. Eugene

    Cameron Guest

    PeterMcC wrote:
    > Whitecrest <> wrote in
    > <>
    >
    >>In article <bur4b6$feg4l$-berlin.de>, say-no-to-
    >> says...

    >>>Why do you care?

    >>Exactly, why do you care?

    > Is this thread composed entirely of questions?

    Yes? ;)

    ~Cameron
    Cameron, Jan 23, 2004
  16. Eugene

    PeterMcC Guest

    Re: (OT) usenet-harvesting webforums

    Cameron <> wrote in
    <burc34$fnt$>

    > PeterMcC wrote:
    >> Whitecrest <> wrote in
    >> <>
    >>
    >>> In article <bur4b6$feg4l$-berlin.de>, say-no-to-
    >>> says...

    >>> Exactly, why do you care?

    >> Is this thread composed entirely of questions?
    >>

    > Yes? ;)

    "Yes", what?

    PeterMcC, Jan 23, 2004
  17. Eugene

    Whitecrest Guest

    Re: (OT) usenet-harvesting webforums

    In article <GtaQb.18533$9.net>,
    says...
    > >> Why do you care?

    > > Exactly, why do you care?

    > Is this thread composed entirely of questions?

    Why are you asking?

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
    Whitecrest, Jan 23, 2004
  18. Eugene

    PeterMcC Guest

    Re: (OT) usenet-harvesting webforums

    Whitecrest <> wrote in
    <>

    > In article <GtaQb.18533$9.net>,
    > says...
    >>> Exactly, why do you care?

    >> Is this thread composed entirely of questions?

    > Why are you asking?

    Why do you want to know?

    BTW - what happened to the forum4designers.com SUCKS thread? Has it been
    removed from the forum4designers forum?

    PeterMcC, Jan 23, 2004
  19. Re: (OT) usenet-harvesting webforums

    Whitecrest wrote:
    > In article <GtaQb.18533$9.net>,
    > says...

    >>>Exactly, why do you care?

    >>Is this thread composed entirely of questions?

    > Why are you asking?

    Who cares?

    Matthias
    Matthias Gutfeldt, Jan 23, 2004