Password on webpage

vindaloo1

I need to create a submission form but I only want certain people to
have access to this page. So from the main screen when the user
selects the button to move to that page I would like a dialog box to
open and the user to enter a password. There will be only one
password. If the password is correct then they can access that
webpage.

I'm a programmer but I don't do webpages and the pages on this site are
written in java.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ivo

I need to create a submission form but I only want certain people to
have access to this page. So from the main screen when the user
selects the button to move to that page I would like a dialog box to
open and the user to enter a password. There will be only one
password. If the password is correct then they can access that
webpage.

I'm a programmer but I don't do webpages and the pages on this site are
written in java.

Bottom line: Javascript runs on the client machine and so depends on the
user having it enabled and not tampering with it. Any filtering done at the
client side is at best a convenience, saving time and traffic, but any real
validation must always be done on the server. Whether that 's done in java
or PHP or anything else, is irrelevant, as long as you control it. You have
no control over scripts running on the client.

electrician

I had the same problem back in 1997. I spent $85 and bought the Perl
prgram Protect It 2.0 from Jason Berry.
I think he is still around. You can write your own script in Perl, but
for $85 it isn't worth your time.
This program has served excellently for almost 10 years. You can't do
a secure password protection routine with JavaScript.
This program runs on unix based servers such as the one's employed by
Powweb.com. I don't think it will run on a Windows Server. I highly
reccomend powweb.com. You can't even run a company server for the
prices they have.
If the pages are written in java, they have got a problem or else they
have lots of money to waste. Are you sure of this?

Script: Protect It #
# Version: |2.0 #
# By: Jason Berry (CGI World) #
# Contact: (e-mail address removed) #
# WWWeb: http://www.cgi-world.com #
# Copyright: 1996-97 CGI World #
# Last Updated: Oct 15, 1997

Hal Rosser

I need to create a submission form but I only want certain people to
have access to this page. So from the main screen when the user
selects the button to move to that page I would like a dialog box to
open and the user to enter a password. There will be only one
password. If the password is correct then they can access that
webpage.

I'm a programmer but I don't do webpages and the pages on this site are
written in java.

Any help would be appreciated.

Make a web page with a text box for the password and have it submit to a jsp
or cgi or asp script that will validate it, and serve up the secret page, if
the secret word is correct.
Its not a job for Javascript.