    written in java.

    Any help would be appreciated.
    , Mar 27, 2006

  2. Ivo Guest

    <> schreef in bericht
    news:...
    >I need to create a submission form but I only want certain people to
    > have access to this page. So from the main screen when the user
    > selects the button to move to that page I would like a dialog box to
    > open and the user to enter a password. There will be only one
    > password. If the password is correct then they can access that
    > webpage.
    >
    > I'm a programmer but I don't do webpages and the pages on this site are
    > written in java.

    Bottom line: Javascript runs on the client machine and so depends on the
    user having it enabled and not tampering with it. Any filtering done at the
    client side is at best a convenience, saving time and traffic, but any real
    validation must always be done on the server. Whether that 's done in java
    or PHP or anything else, is irrelevant, as long as you control it. You have
    no control over scripts running on the client.
    --
    hth
    ivo
    Ivo, Mar 27, 2006

    I had the same problem back in 1997. I spent $85 and bought the Perl
    prgram Protect It 2.0 from Jason Berry.
    I think he is still around. You can write your own script in Perl, but
    for $85 it isn't worth your time.
    This program has served excellently for almost 10 years. You can't do
    a secure password protection routine with JavaScript.
    This program runs on unix based servers such as the one's employed by
    Powweb.com. I don't think it will run on a Windows Server. I highly
    reccomend powweb.com. You can't even run a company server for the
    prices they have.
    If the pages are written in java, they have got a problem or else they
    have lots of money to waste. Are you sure of this?

    Script: Protect It #
    # Version: |2.0 #
    # By: Jason Berry (CGI World) #
    # Contact: #
    # WWWeb: http://www.cgi-world.com #
    # Copyright: 1996-97 CGI World #
    # Last Updated: Oct 15, 1997
    , Mar 27, 2006
  4. Hal Rosser Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I need to create a submission form but I only want certain people to
    > have access to this page. So from the main screen when the user
    > selects the button to move to that page I would like a dialog box to
    > open and the user to enter a password. There will be only one
    > password. If the password is correct then they can access that
    > webpage.
    >
    > I'm a programmer but I don't do webpages and the pages on this site are
    > written in java.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.

    Make a web page with a text box for the password and have it submit to a jsp
    or cgi or asp script that will validate it, and serve up the secret page, if
    the secret word is correct.
    Its not a job for Javascript.
    Hal Rosser, Mar 28, 2006