Password on website

Ellie

I am setting up a family history website and wish to
put a password on it so that only members of my family
can view it. I know some very basic html but don't know
how to add a password box. Is it not possible to do this
in html? Am I right in thinking that a password routine
would have to be on a server somewhere beyond view?
How do I go about password protecting my website?
Thanks

Hywel Jenkins

gingerbread090402 said:
I am setting up a family history website and wish to
put a password on it so that only members of my family
can view it. I know some very basic html but don't know
how to add a password box. Is it not possible to do this
in html? Am I right in thinking that a password routine
would have to be on a server somewhere beyond view?
How do I go about password protecting my website?

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/howto/htaccess.html

Steve R.

Hywel Jenkins wrote in message ...

If that's too complex for you all you need to do is to simply put the
'family only' files into a separate folder on your website and only tell
your family members the full URL.

For example if your base website is http://www.gingerbread-family.com the
family URL could be http://www.gingerbread-family.com/secret or whatever

Not absolutely secure, but unless the information is top-secret it's an
easy way to achieve what you want.

Jochen Fuhrmann

and if you got a php webspace it's very easy to write a secure login
script, otherwise, just code a javascript which fills in a password in a
url, like
private/password.htm, but this option is as good as the one steve told you.