Password problem of MS Access

Arsalan Ahmad

Hi all,

I have a MS Access database (say abc.mdb). I have set the database password
and admin password to "abcdefg" (say). The problem is that when I create a
simple application (a form-based application or asp.net application) and try
to connect to the database using ado.net i get following error:

ERROR :
Test connection failed because of an error in initializing provider.Cannot
start your application.
The workgroup information file is missing or opened exclusively by another
user.

Can you please identify what is wrong and how can I overcome this. For
security reasons the MS access database file must have password but when I
set password it gives me above error while connecting to it via ado.net and
if I remove the password it works alright.

Thanks,

Arsalan Ahmad

William Ryan eMVP

Are you changing your connection string to include password when you add it?

William Ryan eMVP

can you post the string? make sure to replace the real password though with
a fake one ;-)

Paul Clement

¤ Yes I am.
¤

You need to specify the path to the System.mdw file:

"Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & _
"Data Source=e:\My Documents\Secure db1.mdb;" & _
"Jet OLEDB:Engine Type=5;" & _
"Jet OLEDB:System database=E:\...\System.MDW;", "userID", "password"

Paul ~~~ (e-mail address removed)
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)