    if I remove the password it works alright.

    Thanks,

    Arsalan Ahmad
    Arsalan Ahmad, Apr 30, 2004

  2. Are you changing your connection string to include password when you add it?
    "Arsalan Ahmad" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have a MS Access database (say abc.mdb). I have set the database

    password
    > and admin password to "abcdefg" (say). The problem is that when I create a
    > simple application (a form-based application or asp.net application) and

    try
    > to connect to the database using ado.net i get following error:
    >
    > ERROR :
    > Test connection failed because of an error in initializing provider.Cannot
    > start your application.
    > The workgroup information file is missing or opened exclusively by another
    > user.
    >
    > Can you please identify what is wrong and how can I overcome this. For
    > security reasons the MS access database file must have password but when I
    > set password it gives me above error while connecting to it via ado.net

    and

    William Ryan eMVP, Apr 30, 2004

  3. Yes I am.

    Arsalan Ahmad, Apr 30, 2004
  4. can you post the string? make sure to replace the real password though with
    a fake one ;-)

    William Ryan eMVP, Apr 30, 2004
  5. Arsalan Ahmad

    Paul Clement Guest

    On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 10:03:22 +0500, "Arsalan Ahmad" <> wrote:

    ¤ Yes I am.
    ¤

    You need to specify the path to the System.mdw file:

    "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & _
    "Data Source=e:\My Documents\Secure db1.mdb;" & _
    "Jet OLEDB:Engine Type=5;" & _
    "Jet OLEDB:System database=E:\...\System.MDW;", "userID", "password"

    Paul ~~~
    Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
    Paul Clement, Apr 30, 2004