password protecting on page on a site

RainLover

Hi,

My wife and I are working on a personal site and we want to password
protect one area of our web site. It doesn't have to be hacker-proof
or anything, it's just to keep prying eyes away from an area of our
personal life that family members just don't need to know about, but
some of our close, personal friends do.

Thanks,

James, Seattle

remove the 'spamblock' if emailing us.

PeterMcC

RainLover wrote in
Hi,

My wife and I are working on a personal site and we want to password
protect one area of our web site. It doesn't have to be hacker-proof
or anything, it's just to keep prying eyes away from an area of our
personal life that family members just don't need to know about, but
some of our close, personal friends do.

There's .htaccess - it's very simple.

Four lines in the .htaccess file:

AuthName "Section Name"
AuthType Basic
AuthUserFile /full/path/to/.htpasswd
Require valid-user

Change section name to something suitable... "Just for friends - not you,
Sis" and the full path to where you've put the .htpasswd file - see below
for details of the file,

and a file - .htpasswd - containing passwords and IDs:

username1:password1
username2:password2

That protects everything below the directory in which the .htaccess file is
located.

Info: http://www.freewebmasterhelp.com/tutorials/htaccess/3

Password generator:
http://www.euronet.nl/~arnow/htpasswd/

It sounds daunting but it's easy, honest.