password protection - folders/individual files

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by btopenworld, Aug 21, 2006.

  1. btopenworld

    btopenworld Guest

    Hi

    I have been using two forms of password protection:

    A) On working web sites I use an ASP script that is included in every page
    requiring protection: uses session - works fine

    B) On quick test sites or temporary stuff I use the Windows Network
    Authentication provided by my web host. A whole folder is protected at once
    which is very convenient but it has a problem. If a user types the wrong
    password and is denied access, the next time they go to type the password,
    their browser sometimes remembers the wrong password as so they go straight
    to the 'access denied' 401 page.

    How to proceed?

    1) Does anyone know of a way of preventing all browsers from cacheing the
    login info

    2) Is there any way of using ASP to protect whole folders?

    Thanks for any help, information or advice

    John B
    btopenworld, Aug 21, 2006