    * Not Lumber Cartel Unit 75 [TINLC] *
    * I am not SPEWS.ORG *
    ***************************************
    DLU, Nov 11, 2008

  2. DLU

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    http://www.google.com/search?q=password protect individual page
    Nik Coughlin, Nov 11, 2008

  3. DLU

    dorayme Guest

    In article <15b$4918d400$439f9013$>,
    DLU <> wrote:

    > Is there a way to password protect separate pages.
    > For instance my program has a link to files posted on the website. Some
    > of these files are in separate folders such as documents, or contacts.
    > These are in individual pages. I would like to be able to password
    > protect just an individual page.
    >
    > http://home.surewest.net/bikesac/bikesac/

    Look at:

    <http://www.freewebmasterhelp.com/tutorials/htaccess/>

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Nov 11, 2008
  4. DLU

    DLU Guest

    dorayme wrote:
    > In article <15b$4918d400$439f9013$>,
    > DLU <> wrote:
    >
    >> Is there a way to password protect separate pages.
    >> For instance my program has a link to files posted on the website. Some
    >> of these files are in separate folders such as documents, or contacts.
    >> These are in individual pages. I would like to be able to password
    >> protect just an individual page.
    >>
    >> http://home.surewest.net/bikesac/bikesac/

    > Look at:
    >
    > <http://www.freewebmasterhelp.com/tutorials/htaccess/>

    I looked at this but am not sure how to implement it.
    --
    ***************************************
    * This is the Spammish Inquisition *
    DLU, Nov 11, 2008
  5. DLU

    dorayme Guest

    In article <e7d20$4918ec5e$439f9013$>,
    DLU <> wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:
    > > In article <15b$4918d400$439f9013$>,
    > > DLU <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Is there a way to password protect separate pages.
    > >> For instance my program has a link to files posted on the website. Some
    > >> of these files are in separate folders such as documents, or contacts.
    > >> These are in individual pages. I would like to be able to password
    > >> protect just an individual page.
    > >>
    > >> http://home.surewest.net/bikesac/bikesac/

    > > Look at:
    > >
    > > <http://www.freewebmasterhelp.com/tutorials/htaccess/>
    > >

    > I looked at this but am not sure how to implement it.

    What are you having trouble with exactly? An htaccess is a plain text
    file that sits on some servers which you can modify or have server admin
    modify. Your server bluntly gives:

    "Server: NOYB"

    in a validation check so I can't tell.

    There are more sophisticated ways to proceed with php but htaccess is
    more basic...

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Nov 11, 2008
  6. DLU

    DLU Guest

    dorayme wrote:
    > In article <e7d20$4918ec5e$439f9013$>,
    > DLU <> wrote:
    >
    >> dorayme wrote:

    >>> Look at:
    >>>
    >>> <http://www.freewebmasterhelp.com/tutorials/htaccess/>
    >>>

    >> I looked at this but am not sure how to implement it.

    > What are you having trouble with exactly? An htaccess is a plain text
    > file that sits on some servers which you can modify or have server admin
    > modify. Your server bluntly gives:
    >
    > "Server: NOYB"

    My server for site shown above is not the sever that is actually public.
    The full site is at:
    http://clubhouse.sierraclub.org/ca/cnrcc/

    > in a validation check so I can't tell.
    >
    > There are more sophisticated ways to proceed with php but htaccess is
    > more basic...

    As far as I can tell, I have to write the code and upload it to the
    server. I do not know if the server has it available, however I will be
    in the offices of the IT crew on Friday so will ask them if it can be
    implemented.

    Then I have not seen how to apply it to a page.

    --
    ***************************************
    DLU, Nov 11, 2008
  7. DLU

    DLU Guest

    dorayme wrote:
    > In article <e7d20$4918ec5e$439f9013$>,
    > DLU <> wrote:
    >
    >> dorayme wrote:

    >>> Look at:
    >>>
    >>> <http://www.freewebmasterhelp.com/tutorials/htaccess/>
    >>>

    >> I looked at this but am not sure how to implement it.

    > What are you having trouble with exactly? An htaccess is a plain text
    > file that sits on some servers which you can modify or have server admin
    > modify. Your server bluntly gives:
    >
    > "Server: NOYB"
    >
    > in a validation check so I can't tell.
    >
    > There are more sophisticated ways to proceed with php but htaccess is
    > more basic...

    I guess I am confused.
    It looks like .htaccess is a file extension. So do I make a file called
    password.htaccess, or is it a folder?

    What would I upload to the server to check it. The tutorial does not
    seem to be complete. I do not seem to be able to save a file named
    ".htaccess"
    --
    ***************************************
    DLU, Nov 11, 2008
  8. DLU

    Phil Guest

    http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/core.html#files

    <files filename >

    AuthType Basic
    AuthName "popup caption here"
    AuthUserFile path/pswdfile
    Require valid-user

    </files>

    in pswdfile contains

    username:encryptedpswd

    the encrypted password is encrypted with crypt() and is one way password
    so if you forget it you have to reset it with FTP.
    the previously referenced site will do the password crypt for you.

    if directory listing is allowed then you can see the file but it will
    ask for UN/PW to access or download.

    Phil, Nov 11, 2008
  9. DLU

    richard Guest

    On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 16:38:23 -0800, DLU <> wrote:

    >Is there a way to password protect separate pages.
    >For instance my program has a link to files posted on the website. Some
    >of these files are in separate folders such as documents, or contacts.
    >These are in individual pages. I would like to be able to password
    >protect just an individual page.
    >
    >http://home.surewest.net/bikesac/bikesac/

    Ask your host first. They may not allow individual pages to be
    password protected.
    richard, Nov 11, 2008
  10. DLU

    dorayme Guest

    In article <5455b$4919190b$439f9013$>,
    DLU <> wrote:

    > I guess I am confused.
    > It looks like .htaccess is a file extension. So do I make a file called
    > password.htaccess, or is it a folder?

    It is not a file extension in the normal way. It is the name of the file
    itself. Some OSs will not easily let you name a file this way and
    display it in the finder (normal visible desktop, directories...). Macs
    do have such named files but they are by default invisible and part of
    the background machinary... There are ways to get show such files but
    let's get practical: this is what I do:

    I get my plain text editor out and create a new doc and name it
    "htaccess" (without the "") and upload this to a server that will accept
    such a file (Windows servers don't).

    And then I change the name on the server itself by means of my FTP
    program. It will accept the dot. My OS is sort of bypassed. In fact,
    when I first did this, I heard my Mac OS X say something and I think it
    was:

    "Look Pal, you don't have to look all that sneaky, I know what you just
    did! And you know what? I couldn't give a stuff. If you want to stick a
    dot in front of your files on the server, go ahead, you are not fiddling
    with me..."

    > What would I upload to the server to check it.

    You would upload a plain text file called htaccess and youwould rename
    it .htaccess.

    > The tutorial does not
    > seem to be complete. I do not seem to be able to save a file named
    > ".htaccess"

    There are three parts to the tute, links at the bottom of the page I
    think.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Nov 11, 2008
  11. DLU wrote:
    > dorayme wrote:
    >> In article <e7d20$4918ec5e$439f9013$>,
    >> DLU <> wrote:

    >>> I looked at this but am not sure how to implement it.

    >> What are you having trouble with exactly? An htaccess is a plain text
    >> file that sits on some servers which you can modify or have server
    >> admin modify. Your server bluntly gives:
    >>
    >> "Server: NOYB"

    > My server for site shown above is not the sever that is actually public.
    > The full site is at:
    > http://clubhouse.sierraclub.org/ca/cnrcc/

    Microsoft-IIS/6.0

    Forget .htaccess, you will have to do it the Microsoft-way. Suggest you
    try some Microsoft NG like microsoft.public.inetserver.iis

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Nov 11, 2008
  12. DLU

    Bergamot Guest

    Guy Macon wrote:

    > On a Microsoft IIS server, you might also try saving the text file
    > as foo.htaccess and then renaming it to .htaccess on the server.

    Pssst... .htaccess is an Apache thing

    --
    Berg
    Bergamot, Nov 11, 2008
  13. Guy Macon wrote:
    > dorayme wrote:
    >
    >> I get my plain text editor out and create a new doc and name it
    >> "htaccess" (without the "") and upload this to a server that will accept
    >> such a file (Windows servers don't).
    >>
    >> And then I change the name on the server itself by means of my FTP
    >> program. It will accept the dot.

    > On a Microsoft IIS server, you might also try saving the text file
    > as foo.htaccess and then renaming it to .htaccess on the server.

    No. .htaccess is for an Apache server. MS uses other methods...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    Jonathan N. Little, Nov 11, 2008
  14. DLU

    dorayme Guest

    In article <dd330$4919b041$40cba7b1$>,
    "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:

    > Guy Macon wrote:
    > > dorayme wrote:
    > >
    > >> I get my plain text editor out and create a new doc and name it
    > >> "htaccess" (without the "") and upload this to a server that will accept
    > >> such a file (Windows servers don't).
    > >>
    > >> And then I change the name on the server itself by means of my FTP
    > >> program. It will accept the dot.

    > > On a Microsoft IIS server, you might also try saving the text file
    > > as foo.htaccess and then renaming it to .htaccess on the server.
    > >

    > No. .htaccess is for an Apache server. MS uses other methods...

    What I do on IIS, is log into an admin page and ask server admin to do
    it. OP might look to see what facilities he has in any control panel on
    the server's company website (different to his website, of course) or
    simply ring or email them.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Nov 11, 2008
  15. DLU

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 10 Nov 2008, DLU <> wrote:

    > Is there a way to password protect separate pages.
    > For instance my program has a link to files posted on the website.
    > Some of these files are in separate folders such as documents, or
    > contacts. These are in individual pages. I would like to be able to
    > password protect just an individual page.
    >
    > http://home.surewest.net/bikesac/bikesac/

    I've seen alot about .htaccess and MS methods, but actually I think the
    easiest way is by using php. -A few lines, that's it. Of course, it
    helps to know php and it must be available (-which is usual nowadays.)

    I p/w-protected an adult page at the following link and bet you can't
    "crack" it:

    http://adult.neredbojias.org/

    --
    Neredbojias
    http://www.neredbojias.org/
    Neredbojias, Nov 11, 2008
  16. On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 00:47:19 +0100 (CET), Neredbojias
    <> wrote:

    >On 10 Nov 2008, DLU <> wrote:
    >
    >> Is there a way to password protect separate pages.
    >> For instance my program has a link to files posted on the website.
    >> Some of these files are in separate folders such as documents, or
    >> contacts. These are in individual pages. I would like to be able to
    >> password protect just an individual page.
    >>
    >> http://home.surewest.net/bikesac/bikesac/

    >I've seen alot about .htaccess and MS methods, but actually I think the
    >easiest way is by using php. -A few lines, that's it. Of course, it
    >helps to know php and it must be available (-which is usual nowadays.)
    >
    >I p/w-protected an adult page at the following link and bet you can't
    >"crack" it:
    >
    >http://adult.neredbojias.org/

    Could you ....? no no, not giveing us your password :)
    Could you make available your coding ? (whick looks very good)
    Raymond SCHMIT, Nov 12, 2008
  17. DLU

    rf Guest

    "Raymond SCHMIT" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 00:47:19 +0100 (CET), Neredbojias
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>On 10 Nov 2008, DLU <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is there a way to password protect separate pages.
    >>> For instance my program has a link to files posted on the website.
    >>> Some of these files are in separate folders such as documents, or
    >>> contacts. These are in individual pages. I would like to be able to
    >>> password protect just an individual page.
    >>>
    >>> http://home.surewest.net/bikesac/bikesac/

    >>I've seen alot about .htaccess and MS methods, but actually I think the
    >>easiest way is by using php. -A few lines, that's it. Of course, it
    >>helps to know php and it must be available (-which is usual nowadays.)
    >>
    >>I p/w-protected an adult page at the following link and bet you can't
    >>"crack" it:
    >>
    >>http://adult.neredbojias.org/

    > Could you ....? no no, not giveing us your password :)
    > Could you make available your coding ? (whick looks very good)

    As he is running PHP on that site I suspect he is going to use the login
    credentials to set up a standard PHP session. Standard PHP sessions are, by
    definition, secure.
    rf, Nov 12, 2008
  18. DLU

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 12 Nov 2008, (Raymond SCHMIT) wrote:

    >>I've seen alot about .htaccess and MS methods, but actually I think
    >>the easiest way is by using php. -A few lines, that's it. Of
    >>course, it helps to know php and it must be available (-which is
    >>usual nowadays.)
    >>
    >>I p/w-protected an adult page at the following link and bet you can't
    >>"crack" it:
    >>
    >>http://adult.neredbojias.org/

    > Could you ....? no no, not giveing us your password :)
    > Could you make available your coding ? (whick looks very good)

    Here is a pertinent example partial from the current p/w-ed page. The
    only things I changed were the password (natch) and the conditional 1st
    line detail (it is actually primed earlier in the online version for
    styles, etc.)

    http://www.neredbojias.org/_dems/samplepw.txt

    --
    Neredbojias
    http://www.neredbojias.org/
    Neredbojias, Nov 13, 2008
  19. DLU

    richard Guest

    <> wrote:

    >On 10 Nov 2008, DLU <> wrote:
    >
    >> Is there a way to password protect separate pages.
    >> For instance my program has a link to files posted on the website.
    >> Some of these files are in separate folders such as documents, or
    >> contacts. These are in individual pages. I would like to be able to
    >> password protect just an individual page.
    >>
    >> http://home.surewest.net/bikesac/bikesac/

    >I've seen alot about .htaccess and MS methods, but actually I think the
    >easiest way is by using php. -A few lines, that's it. Of course, it
    >helps to know php and it must be available (-which is usual nowadays.)
    >
    >I p/w-protected an adult page at the following link and bet you can't
    >"crack" it:
    >
    >http://adult.neredbojias.org/

    btw, getting the password took several hours.

    by that time, I'm elsewhere.
    richard, Nov 13, 2008
  20. DLU

    richard Guest

    On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 18:22:22 -0800, DLU <> wrote:

    >dorayme wrote:
    >> In article <15b$4918d400$439f9013$>,
    >> DLU <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is there a way to password protect separate pages.
    >>> For instance my program has a link to files posted on the website. Some
    >>> of these files are in separate folders such as documents, or contacts.
    >>> These are in individual pages. I would like to be able to password
    >>> protect just an individual page.
    >>>
    >>> http://home.surewest.net/bikesac/bikesac/

    >> Look at:
    >>
    >> <http://www.freewebmasterhelp.com/tutorials/htaccess/>
    >>

    >I looked at this but am not sure how to implement it.

    The file is not implemented on a page you write.
    It is acted upon by the server.
    Each time a new page is opened, the .htaccess file is checked
    automatically for any references to that page.

    If you don't already have one, you create one with something as simple
    as notepad.
    Notepad saves the file as a .htaccess.txt. Once uploaded, rename it
    removing the .txt
    richard, Nov 13, 2008