Password Query?

Dave

Hi Guys,

I want to password some of my pages which will be used for family purposes
only, although they are still in the planning process I would like to get
things working correctly before I jump in with both feet so to speak. Also,
how do I get the passwords to be recognized by the relevant pages?

I am aware as regards scripts pre-written for this type of thing, but I
would much prefer handcoding, so if anyone can point me in the right
direction, I really would appreciate very much indeed.

Many thanks,

Dave.

Marc

Dave said:
I want to password some of my pages which will be used for family purposes
only, although they are still in the planning process I would like to get
things working correctly before I jump in with both feet so to speak. Also,
how do I get the passwords to be recognized by the relevant pages?

If you're hosted on a Linux server, your best bet would be to use
..htaccess protection on a directory and put all the private pages in
there. Your host may provide such a facility, and if not, google for
..htaccess and set it up manually.

Marc

Gufus

Hi Dave,

From: (e-mail address removed)
Hi Guys,
I want to password some of my pages which will be used for
family purposes only, although they are still in the
planning process I would like to get things working
correctly before I jump in with both feet so to speak. Also,
how do I get the passwords to be recognized by the relevant
pages?

You using a Unix server?

If so setup a .htaccess file. You will have to learn to
create a (.htaccess .access.pwd) files.

IE:

AuthType Basic
AuthName "restricted area"
AuthUserFile /data/5/0/131/159/294485/user/299093/htdocs/private/.
access.pwd
AuthPam_Enabled off

<files collection.html*>
Require user xxxxxx
</files>

<files *>
Require user xxxxx
</files>

Options +Indexes

-+- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
+ Origin: Calgary Organization CDN Fidonet-Internet Gateway
(1:134/77.10)

Gufus

mailto:[email protected]
http://www.gypsy-designs.com

.... Running Windows is no better than washing them.