Password Requirements

David C. Holley

Any thoughts on requirements for a password? I've been thinking about
the following...

Minimum six characters
Must contain at least 1 number and at least 1 letter
Cannot contain the user's first or last name
Cannot contain the user name of the person's email address
Cannot contain the domain name of the person's email address

Evertjan.

David C. Holley wrote on 06 mrt 2004 in
Any thoughts on requirements for a password? I've been thinking about
the following...

Minimum six characters
Must contain at least 1 number and at least 1 letter
Cannot contain the user's first or last name
Cannot contain the user name of the person's email address
Cannot contain the domain name of the person's email address

Good thinking, but it depends on the level of security required.

Evertjan.

Alistair wrote on 06 mrt 2004 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
why not generate a random password for each user??

Why not generate a random user for each password??

Perfect security !!

;-}

Bob Barrows

Evertjan. said:
Alistair wrote on 06 mrt 2004 in

Why not generate a random user for each password??

Perfect security !!

;-}

Unless someone gets the password from the post-it note stuck on the user's
monitor ... ;-)

Bob Barrows

Evertjan.

Bob Barrows wrote on 06 mrt 2004 in
Unless someone gets the password from the post-it note stuck on the
user's monitor ... ;-)

That is the beauty of my scheme, Bob:

As the user is random,
your someone will never know which user a password belongs to.

The top security effect is
that even no legitimate user will be able to log on.

This effect has a triple advantage:
1 program bugs and html bugs do not have to be repaired.
2 the database does not need holding any sensitive data.
3 even Californian blackouts have no serious business disadvantages.

David Holley

I think you all need therapy. One a related note though, I used to work
for an organization with multiple hotel properties & entertainment
venues (a whole kit-n-kabodle in fact). One day, my boss and I came up
with the idea of enhancing our property management system so that
anytime a guest received a credit for an inconvienice(sp), the system
would randomly select a location to charge for the credit, as opposed to
the front desk paying for it - something for which we did often.

David H.