    My question is, what is the current standard for storing an connect string
    to a database for asp applications?

    Thanks.
    Kit Truong, Oct 1, 2004

  2. Please don't multi-post.
    http://www.aspfaq.com/5003

    --
    http://www.aspfaq.com/
    (Reverse address to reply.)

    "Kit Truong" <> wrote in message
    news:J4f7d.668$...
    > Hello,
    >
    > When I'm creating database driven asp applications, I store my constants,
    > including my connection string to the database within an asp file called
    > constants.asp. All constants are stored inside asp coding <% ... %> so
    > people can't save the data through the web.
    >
    > I've been told this is an insecure way of storing the connect string

    becuase

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Oct 1, 2004

  3. Kit Truong

    dlbjr Guest

    I use the global.asa file for this. It's purpose is to hold constants in application variables.
    Yes, There is a level of insecurity in having your connection string here or an asp.
    This is fine in most situations. You are limited to your options when your site is on a host server.

    If you have exclusive use of a server, you have many other options. A dll with the connection string
    can be used to load the connection string on the application start.
    --
    'dlbjr
    'Pleading sagacious indoctrination!
    dlbjr, Oct 1, 2004