Patching Java applications ...

DaveB

Hi,

While not directly a programmer problem, programmers would be the ones that
know how to do it so I am posting my question here.

We have a server application that we have been patching by killing the app,
replacing the old code and restarting the app. I've come across some
documentation that said there was a limited "hotswap" capability in 1.4, and
improved capability in Java 5.0. The documentation states that in Java 1.4
the JVM has to be running in "debug" mode for this to work, but I can't find
anything that says what state the JVM for 5.0 has to be in.

My question is, does anybody know if the JVM still needs to be running in
"debug" mode for Java 5.0 apps?

Any clarification would be helpful.

Thanks,
Dave B.