Patent 863 blocks Web Services - Open Source implications

Discussion in 'XML' started by Lane Friesen, Feb 24, 2005.

  1. Lane Friesen

    Lane Friesen Guest

    I've developed a new form of client-based, secure 'Web Memory' that
    uses the JAVA or dotNET VM to launch a 'terminate and stay
    resident' program fragment that maintains persistence between web
    pages by program reloading. Web Memory is the basis for an Open Source
    e-commerce front end that could reduce web congestion and simplify
    online shopping.

    If too many people use this technique, then it will not work for
    anyone. Bandwidth for Web Memory is now protected by US Patent
    6,636,863, granted to me on Oct. 21, 2003 - <STRONG>it appears to
    describe Web Services as well as Web Memory, and could extend to
    portions of the Internet</STRONG>.

    A web-based operating system might be possible. I am releasing this
    application of Web Memory also to Open Source.

    Information:
    http://209.87.142.42/webmemory/

    Background:
    * I filed for a US patent in September, 1999. There are years of
    waiting before the US Patent and Trademark Office can even begin to
    process an application - during this time, the ideas of my patent were
    developed independently by the Internet community, as Web Services.

    * I originally published in June of 2000 on javaboutique
    (http://javaboutique:internet.com/articles/shoppingcart/index.html) and
    released the code for an e-commerce front end as Open Source.

    * The article was mirrored on Linux Today
    (http://linuxtoday.com/news/2000070200204OSSW).

    * On Oct. 21, 2003, after a lengthy process including a quality review
    by a number of patent examiners, I was granted US Patent 6,636,863
    based on this work (to read the text, go to
    http://patft.uspto.gov/netahtml/srchnum.htm and input the patent
    number).

    * Web Memory is secure, client-based, user-specific memory, based in
    the JAVA VM present in computers, cell phones, Palm Pilots and chips.
    It works in dotNET as well. The bandwidth for this technique has been
    protected by patent. Is the method useful to the Open Source community?

    Lane Friesen
    e-mail: lanefriesen (at) hotmail.com

    Lane Friesen, Feb 24, 2005